PDA

View Full Version : Stuffed CD rom

Polk
09-08-2002, 08:21 PM
Hey

My cd rom is stuffed. Whenever i go to run the PC world CD it just keeps trying to run and never gets there, at first i thought it was the CD so i got a new one but to no avail. This cd rom is 4-5 years old so is it possible that i need a new one? I have tried cd wipes, cleaners etc but nothing helps.

Thanks

Poppa John
09-08-2002, 08:50 PM
You will have to clean all that breadcrumb stuffing out of it!!!! Sillier Poppa John :D :D

Graham L
09-08-2002, 09:05 PM
The CD is well out of guarantee. ;-) Check that its cables are properly in. But you might have to buy a new one. They are cheap these days.

Elwin Way
09-08-2002, 09:12 PM
But do other CD's work alright in it? There is always the possibility that you might have got sent another dud CD. My new CD works fine. The old one had the same sympotms.

Polk
09-08-2002, 10:38 PM
yea other cds work pretty much fine, but i only use other cd's for games as such but they only use them for booting up and thats it, but for games that require the cd for the whole game to run (sauh as any EA game, fifa 2002 for example) they hardly run at all

So yea i think i need a new one.

godfather
09-08-2002, 10:46 PM
Laser will be low in output, freebee CDs seem marginal in readability compared to others at times.

Poppa John
Serious Question. Don't the "Reading Lasers" in the "Read" & "Write/Read Drives have a limited life span before they "die"? I heard that the W/R lasers die quicker because of the "Burning" they do. Any truth in this?
Curious Poppa John.

Heather P
Having the Dick Smith site open for other research I tried CD cleaner - $19.90. CD ROM drive $87 for a 52x drive.

Try a couple of music CDs and a game or two. If they hiccup or crash it might be time to splurge out on a new, faster, drive. (or spend quarter of the price to try to fix the old one).

godfather
09-08-2002, 11:14 PM
Possible PJ, the writing lasers have a high output (to change the dye colour on the CD when "burning") relative to the reading system.

Not sure if they use the same laser or not but it would be throttled well back for read, or a lower output type.