PDA

View Full Version : Win XP print problem



gordonz
09-08-2002, 08:17 PM
I upgraded to Windows XP from Me and so far managed to work out most things; one thing I am stuck on is getting the custom paper size in order to print out a job as a report in Access using a dot matrix printer (Epson FX 85 compatible)

I opened “printer server properties” and specified under “forms” the size of the paper somehow this is supposed to give me the option to use that paper size from each application.
All the printer drivers I have installed since upgrading have no ‘custom size’ in the dropdown list
I must be missing something, can you help point me in the right direction?

Second problem
For my laser printer I installed a print driver and then found out that it didn’t work correctly so I found and installed a second driver I delete the first driver from the “printers window” and from “server properties” but every time I reboot the first driver is reinstalled. How do I get rid of the first driver as it upsets the communication between the computer and my laser printer ?










godfather
09-08-2002, 08:22 PM
If you go into "printers and faxes" and right click the laser printer, select advanced, "change driver". and point it to your new driver.

OR

If your driver was installed from a program, go into control panel, add/remove programs and uninstall the old one from there.

Dot Matrix::::::::Gee, I am getting flashbacks:::::doubt that its a driver setting, all mine were set by deft manipulation of the buttons in a set order as per the manual.

Poppa John
09-08-2002, 08:42 PM
gordonz. I am on XP Home & I have a very old DSE 9pin Dot Printer working as "Epson FK-80+". That is how it appears on Printers Installed, I have no problem with A4 paper size. Perhaps FK 80+ will work for you? Poppa John ;)
PS Ribbons are obsolete, I have two, which I take in locally for re-inking. It is a good standby printer PJ

Poppa John
09-08-2002, 08:46 PM
Goddie, What manual? Mine is in the Proverbial 'Safe place", have turned this house inside out but it is in a really really really "safe place"
Poppa John :D

gordonz
09-08-2002, 09:53 PM
I thanks for the reply

My laser printer is using my new driver the problem is unless I delete the previous driver it seems to upset the printers operation

I delete the old driver but then when I reboot the computer windows X. P. the puts the old driver back

With the dot matrix printer I need a custom page size as I'm printing labels only half inch high so my page size is half inch by four inch
This was working fine under windows Me as I could set the custom page size in the printer dialog box but the printer dialog boxes for both my laser printer and the dot matrix printer that I downloaded for XP do not have custom page size. I asume that this is because XP expects the form size to be set under control panel/printers/file/server properties?

godfather
09-08-2002, 10:13 PM
> I delete the old driver but then when I reboot the
> computer windows X. P. the puts the old driver back

But...if you have *deleted* the old drivers where is it getting them from to re-install them??

> the printer dialog boxes for both my laser printer
> and the dot matrix printer that I downloaded for XP
> do not have custom page size.

Unsure what you mean, how did you "download" dialogue boxes?
Paper size in printer would need to be in the main printer settings I would assume, under control panel/printers

> because XP expects the form size to be set under
> control panel/printers/file/server properties?

I dont get this bit, are you running the printers on a server (unless Xp Pro is being used, and I dont have that here to compare) or are you printing to a file?

godfather
09-08-2002, 10:14 PM
re-read your original post, you are setting everything via access?

I wouldnt bet that it wont be overridden, try via printers

gordonz
09-08-2002, 10:57 PM
> > I delete the old driver but then when I reboot the
> > computer windows X. P. the puts the old driver
> back
>
> But...if you have *deleted* the old drivers where is
> it getting them from to re-install them??

I think it is from the plug and play? I have tried a new operation, I deleted the old printer and its driver, turned the comptuer off then on the old driver wasn't there. turned it off and on again and it reinstalled the old driver!! So it is detecting the printer and plug and play doesnt recognise the new driver instead puts the old driver back. How do I fool the plug and play?

>
> > the printer dialog boxes for both my laser printer
> > and the dot matrix printer that I downloaded for
> XP
> > do not have custom page size.
>
> Unsure what you mean, how did you "download" dialogue
> boxes?

Sorry I downloaded a new driver for the printer.

> Paper size in printer would need to be in the main
> printer settings I would assume, under control
> panel/printers
>
> > because XP expects the form size to be set under
> > control panel/printers/file/server properties?
>
> I dont get this bit, are you running the printers on
> a server (unless Xp Pro is being used, and I dont
> have that here to compare) or are you printing to a
> file?

I am running XP Home without a server but I read somewhere to remove the print driver from control panel/printers/file/server properties which is what I did.

godfather
09-08-2002, 11:04 PM
If you go in via control panel - system - device manager - lpt1 (assume its parallel port) and expand ports, right click on lpt1, properties, you can disable legacy PnP.

Still mistifies as to /file/server...

I dont have that option, but I run my laser over the LAN.