PDA

View Full Version : After using cd writer

J ZEP
09-08-2002, 07:21 PM
Hi all, was wondering if anyone had any ideas on a little thing i have come across - no biggee, but i have noticed after i use the cd writer and finish writing, if i put a cdrom in it won't detect it - it is all o.k after i reboot? Was just wondering if this is normal and i am missing a setting somewhere - cause i presume that the writer takes over the drive and it still thinks it is in writing mode? Would that be right? Also can anybody point me in the direction of the autorun setting in xp? I can't seem to find it! Thanks in advance! :-)

bmason
09-08-2002, 07:26 PM
Its normal for you to need to eject and close a freshly written disk to be able to read it, but you shouldn't need to reboot.

godfather
09-08-2002, 07:53 PM
There appears to be a bug in XP, (at least here) that also causes files written to the CD being unable to be deleted from the CD cache folder until you have rebooted. Its also not a biggie, but the two things may be linked.

Graham Petrie
09-08-2002, 07:54 PM
Can you esecute the cd by double click ing the icon? e is it just not autoplaying, or is it not working at all.

The IMAPI service conflicts with the autoplay function and cd burners. usually only one works at a time. (Windos XP, but maybe others too).

G P

Graham L
09-08-2002, 08:06 PM
If you haven't "closed" the CD you wrote to, the system will think it has a CD mounted. It probably won't be looking for "media changed" .

Right clicking on the CD drive might give you an "unmount" option. Try that. (I don't use Windows so I might be wrong ;-) )

godfather
09-08-2002, 08:14 PM
Hmmm...that might answer my problem too.

With audio CDs you get the option to close, but not with data on mine, and I never burn audio.

I will look into that next time.

J ZEP
09-08-2002, 10:24 PM
Thanks for the replies, the thing is after finishing and closing all other programs and ejecting the cd i was writing, if i put in another cdrom it is just not recognised even double clicking - well there is no icon of the cd to double click anyway - its just an empty space cause nothing is recognised. If Godfather has the same thing with xp it must just be one of those things, just an xp bug!! I was just wondering if it was my computer or something i was doing wrong! Thanks all! Graham L will try the 'unmount' if i have that option, thanks! :-)

godfather
09-08-2002, 10:30 PM
My icon is still there, the CD title under explorer doesnt change from the old one and it wont let me delete the cached files it keeps telling me are waiting to be written. But it will read another CD and show the content, just the wrong title.

Until a reboot.

I suspect J ZEP that it may be a firmware issue in yours? I once had one that would only extract 10 audio tracks digitally, and the rest would default to analogue, turned out to be a firmware problem....obscure problems.

J ZEP
09-08-2002, 10:47 PM
oh i see what you mean godfather - i actually reread your post after i had posted and noticed it was a different situation, funny thing is i can put the cd i have just written back in and it sees that o.k (but that isn't really funny when you think about it, cause the imfo is still there) - but not another cdrom? - Like it is still in writing mode i think? When you say firmware problem - is that like the cdwriter itself?

godfather
09-08-2002, 11:08 PM
Yes, they must have flashable rom with firmware I guess. They released a new firmware upgrade but I replaced the ROM with a burner at that stage.

I see I have broken 1,000 posts, I will retire now.

J ZEP
09-08-2002, 11:16 PM
Thanks GF - Hey well done 1010 posts - boy thats got to be the record!!!! Some imfo in that lot of posts!!!!! I have only just reached the 100 mark!!!!

Graham L
10-08-2002, 03:48 PM
Well. They keep reinventing software faults, don't they? CP/M, which was the DOS for 8-bit 8080 and Z80 processors had a special command to use when you changed disks in the floppy drive. You had to type Ctrl/C to tell the system you had changed disks. Otherwise nasty things would happen. The directory of the original disk was still in memory. If you wrote a file to the floppy, it would be written to a "free space" (according to the wrong directory) then the revised direcicory would be written to the disk. Oh Dear. :-( That disk in the drive would have had the only copies of your most important files. And they would now be unreadable. When 5.25" disks came along, you could set a jumper to "signal disk change" , and this enhancement was quickly included in the operating system.

History lesson over. ;-) When you have finished writing, and click on the CD icon, have you got an "unmount" option? If so, do it before removing the CD. But they ought to have a better way of doing it.

J ZEP
10-08-2002, 07:32 PM
Hi Graham, thanks for that bit of history, most interesting, i am always keen on hearing about the workings of the pc. I was thinking about the "unmount" option last night and it crossed my mind that when burning, the instructions say let the program take over (which it does anyway so it doesn't seem optional)and insert the cd for you and open it again when its over and finished writing, so it may be a bit hard to do that 'unmount' before removing the cd eh??? Cause it automatically opens for the removal when finished - i gather because of the bold it is important to do it before the cd is removed?? Thanks Graham. :-)

Brent P
11-08-2002, 05:08 PM
I find that starting and closing Nero gets things working again...