PDA

View Full Version : graphics card

JJJJJ
09-08-2002, 03:21 PM
I would like a bit of advice from the "knowledgeable" please
What is the NVIDIA GeForce2 MX 100/200 with 64 mbs like. I was under the impression that nvidia was supposed to be good. If the consensus is the the card is OK what driver should I use? I am useing the ones that Win XP stuck in.
I have built a new comp with Athlon 2000+ in an MIS KT3 Ultra mb and 512 mds of dd 266 ram. It runs well but I am not overly pleased with the display. I don't play games on it, I just want a clear bright display. (my eyesight is not the best)
I got the Nvidia card bundled with the MB so I used it. I have thrown out the Matrox G400 I had in the old box. (Well it was three years old)
Any comments?
Jack

Babe Ruth
09-08-2002, 03:30 PM
Jack,

If you're sticking with the Nvidia note that the latest reference drivers are available.

One version is on the MS Windows Update site, and the other was mentioned in Tweak'es column the other night (see xxxday news).

Also you should turn on ClearType for your display. To enable the ClearType change:

RightClick on the empty display desktop
Click on the APPEARANCE tab
Click on the EFFECTS button (near the lower right)
Click in the box next to "Use the following method to smooth edges of screen fonts"
In the dropdown box select CLEARTYPE
Click OK
Click OK (to apply)

Cheers, Babe.

NathanTheKind
09-08-2002, 03:31 PM
The GForce 2 Card should be all you need. However download the latest drivers for it from the Nivida Site. Tweak said yesterday that version 30 drivers are out. I would strongly recommend downloading these. Infact I would strongly recommend updating all your drivers on you computer when ever new ones come out. They can increase performance, and they fix errors and bugs that were in previous version.

:)

tweak\'e
09-08-2002, 07:01 PM
what specs do you the video card at?
resalution, refresh rate, colour(16/32)?

a clear bright display has proberly got more to do with the monitor than the video card. however some video cards loose quality at higher speeds do to poor output filters on the video card. their is a tweak to fix that (will void warranty) or try a different brand.

godfather
09-08-2002, 07:50 PM
Jack, did you spot my response to "sorting favourites" further down, I beleived I had found your problem and wondered if it worked.

(Last response on your posting)

JJJJJ
10-08-2002, 07:11 AM
I have installed the latest drivers from NVidia and they are a vast improvement
Yes Godfather you hit the nail right on the head. I'm alphabetical now too.
Jack