PDA

View Full Version : Me/ start and closedown

Cbruce
09-08-2002, 09:20 AM
I'm running me windows and have a problem that happens most times that I close down [about 7 out of 10 times].
On closing by using the start button or via the Key board,
All that happens is a blue screen with. Windows protection error. You need to restart your Computer System Halted. The first few times this happened I restarted and then switched off, only to get the same message up.
Also when I start up, I get a message from System Configuration Utility/ You are using the selective startup for troubleshooting your system.
I was told that I needed to reload Windows Me again. 1st time I did that without Formatting The 2nd time I did wiped all and reformatted the drive this worked well for about a week then started again.
I'm running a Family Tree Maker program that uses doss when I returned the computer to the shop they just said that it was this program causing the fault on talking to a few people in the computer trade they said that it wouldn't be the programs fault and the shop were just using that as a copout and if it was the FTM progam it would do it all the time.
Anyone had this problem or got an answer.
Cheers cbruce

Mike
09-08-2002, 09:37 AM
If it were the FTM then it'd only do it when you run that program - it wouldnt' cause a problem just for being installed, so unless your problem only occurs if you've run the FTM then you can rule that out.

Is there something else you have installed recently that could have started the problem? After you reformatted, you may have reinstalled that program again towards the end of that week and it could be causing the problem.

As something of a way to test, try pressing Ctrl+Alt+Del and ending task all tasks that are running (close all programs normally first) except for Explorer and Systray (I think those are the two that should be left there), and then try shutting down. If this works for you, then you may be able to try selectively ending task on different tasks until you can narrow it down to one program. If you can narrow it down to one, you may be able to stop that task from running whenever you use your computer, and hopefully the problem will go away :).

Hope that made sense ;p

Mike.

godfather
09-08-2002, 11:33 AM
Don't be too quick to eliminate FTM, if its a DOS based program it may have configured config.bat or autoexec.bat with a parameter that ME finds unpalatable.

Also some DOS programs are notorious for eating resources in a 32 bit systems, they dont behave as windows expects.

Are you running FTM from DOS? (As in booting to DOS) or are you running it in a DOS window (in which case its a windows version of DOS and could cause trouble)

The system configuration window you get on boot-up is indicating some start-up parameters have been changed. If you tick the "dont show this" box, you should not see it again, if you do then something is dynamically altering your system.

Cbruce
09-08-2002, 12:27 PM
Thanks Mike for that quick reply. I tried to do like you suggested but?
On my list I have
Explorer, Navapw32, Washer, Zonealarm, Kmaestro, Systray.
Tried closing all one at a time and switching off. No difference.Except when I try Explorer,
I get a box with, This program is not responding. It may be busy, waiting for a
Response from you, or it may have stopped running.

I went to http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_pages/startup_full.htm trying to find out anything more
I came across Explorer / this could be a Pe_bistro virus
I have scaned for virus's quite a few times since this has been happening and not found any.
Could this be and is it worth going further into

Cheers

Elwin Way
09-08-2002, 12:54 PM
You probably have a conflict between Washer and Norton Antivirus.

Try disabling one / both by using (start->run)MSCONFIG and taking the tick out them on the startup tab.

See if that helps.

Cbruce
09-08-2002, 01:03 PM
Thanks Godfather for your reply.
The FTM program that I'm running from DOS. I was given a copy
of FTM and told it would run on Me,I loaded it and it ran I don't
do anything to start the program except click on the icon.
I only know that it runs from DOS as when I've taken my
computer in for repairs the sales man pointed it out and told
me it was causing the problem, I latter took it back and the
repair man said the salesman didn't know what he was talking
about and it was not cause the problem. He repaired it but it
didn't last very long.
The system configuration window I was going to click on the box,
I thought their was a fault and if I clicked the box not to appear
it would just hide it, and better to see it than hide it.

Cheers

Cbruce
09-08-2002, 01:11 PM
Thanks Elwin Way
I have only just started using Washer and this problem goes a long way back. But I've tried disabling both of them with no change.
I used to use Kaaza and that with zonealarm was also a problem.

Cheers

godfather
09-08-2002, 01:20 PM
Ok, you are running FTM from a DOS window, under ME in that case.

Does the problem exist if you havent been running FTM?

If not, then it *could* be a resource issue with old 16 bit programs, they do run but cause unpredicted results in some instances.

Cbruce
09-08-2002, 03:02 PM
The problem comes up if I don't or if I do open the FTM.
I will if needed download all of that program and uninstall, But I don't think
this is the fault
{ I hope its not I only got this computer new to run this program}

You mentioned a resource issue with an old 16 bit program
When I first got this program I had to get someone to install it on my old computer. cause of 16 bit program ?[this was about 6 years ago and I'm not sure]
This FTM is a latter version maybe it has a simlar problem. How can I check this out.
Cheers

Babe Ruth
09-08-2002, 03:13 PM
Cbruce,

According to the following site WinME_FTM (http://www.computing.net/windowsme/wwwboard/forum/25635.html) Family Tree Maker may be conflicting with Norton AV. They point to two sites for help here1 (http://genealogy.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/genealogy.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=516) and here2 (http://genforum.genealogy.com/install/messages/11035.html) one or other of these may help to point at a fix.

Babe.

Cbruce
09-08-2002, 04:21 PM
Thanks Babe Ruth.
Checked out that info all good, I was told that Norton AV could be a problem with FTM when I first started getting problems.
I have run my setup without Norton AV .
Problem sill there.
Cheers