PDA

View Full Version : Outlook XP slow to load on Win Xp

doog
08-08-2002, 10:48 PM
Howsit again

I've finally got my installation of Win XP starting to hum a bit. However one wierd final thing. Outlook 2002 takes ages to load up - about 30 seconds. Anyhting else under Office XP e.g. Word, is fine - loads up quickly.

I know someone else with exactly the same problem. We are both stumped.

Can anyone help please?

robsonde
08-08-2002, 10:51 PM
must look at how much RAM you have??

What CPU??

XP needs a lot of room to move.

doog
08-08-2002, 10:58 PM
I have 196 MB (or is it 192?) and Pentium 533. Is Outlook a lot more intensive for RAM than Word then? As Word, Excel and Access load in a few seconds (4 seconds at most), whereas Outlook i've timed at 35 seconds. It seems strange that Outlook is 10 times longer?

In fact anything I load - even Photoshop - is faster than Outlook to load.

Razer
09-08-2002, 01:24 AM
I had the same problem when I first installed office XP. Luckily its easy to fix. Goto the options and click on the 'other' tab. Untick enable instant messaging in outlook.

doog
09-08-2002, 08:45 AM
Excellent - thanks for that Razer. It worked a treat.

Mike
09-08-2002, 09:10 AM
> Excellent - thanks for that Razer. It worked a treat.

Something else to keep an eye on, and one that will likely affect you sooner or later is the fact that Outlook stores everything you don't delete (emails etc.) in one file, and it loads that file everytime you start Outlook. The bigger the file, the longer it takes to load up.
For example, my Outlook file is currently 22mb, with an archive file (Outlook can move all your older emails etc. into an archive file occasionally, if you set it up to do so) that is about 70mb. That 22mb is read every time I open Outlook, so the smaller it is, the quicker it'll load.

Mike.