PDA

View Full Version : Modem problems

Jakkie
08-08-2002, 08:59 PM
I've formatted my other computer and installed Windows 98. All drivers are installed, but my computer can't detect my modem. What did I do wrong?

godfather
08-08-2002, 09:01 PM
Is the modem internal or external?
What type is it (it may not be plug and play)?

robsonde
08-08-2002, 09:14 PM
as the godfather says you will need to give more info.

but most internal modems will NOT be picked up by windows in the automatic way the we like.

you will need to use the drivers disk you have in the dusty draw.

Heather P
08-08-2002, 09:17 PM
Click on Start; Settings; Control Panel; System and the Tab Device Manager. Is there an exclamation mark by the modem?

If so, you will need the driver from your disk. If this can't be found you'll need to find the model and hunt on the net.

Jakkie
11-08-2002, 10:29 PM
Hi. Thanks for you reply. After fiddeling the whole weekend with the computer, I am still in the dark about the modem. My modem is a Genius GM56PC1-L. I do have the disk, but the computer do not allow me to use the disk. If I put the disk in, only software stuff like Adobe ect. appears, but nothing about a driver. When I click on Add/Delete Hardware, I do find this modem's description, but the computer can't read it. What do I do wrong? There is only a questionmark behind 'Ohter devices', not after the modem. I hope you understand my garble. Can you help?

Jakkie

NathanTheKind
12-08-2002, 09:44 AM
Some questions. How old is the modem, is it PCI or ISA? What is the thing with the question mark? Have you tried deleting the device with the question mark, turning off the computer, taking out the modem, turning back own, installing any new hardware that might be detected, ie the device with the question mark, if nothing comes up the device with the question mark might have been the modem. Turn off the computer again, plug the modem back in and restart the computer, if the modem is still not detected, put in the disk for your modem and run any setup.exe files that may be on the disk. If there is none try the add/remove hardware again.

:)