PDA

View Full Version : Y2K

Baldy
08-08-2002, 06:11 PM
Was talking over the old days with an equally old friend today, and had a rather humorous debate/discussion about Y2K

Was Y2K a hoax, and how did it start?

From memory, the world didn't stop and no electrical appliances or computers ceased to work or even blew up..... Looking back all the panic seems quite hilarious

cheqmaster
08-08-2002, 07:10 PM
I work with a large Cardax Access control system at a local site, we installed the Y2K update but experienced an unexpected glitch that nobody in the high-ups had anticipated. It turned all cards expiring before a certain date back on yet the system considered them off. In other words they were working yet we had no way of tracking them down, as they displayed as being off.

It was a major pain to sort out and we were NOT laughing!

Poppa John
08-08-2002, 07:27 PM
Baldy. I bet quite a few people made a bob or two out of it tho, hoax or not. Poppa John

Elwin Way
08-08-2002, 07:27 PM
From what I remember it was all MicroSoft's fault. They didn't realise people would still be using computers after 1999.

Poppa John
08-08-2002, 07:30 PM
It was Microsoft's fault it rained in Auckland today, as well!!! Laughing Poppa John :D

robsonde
08-08-2002, 07:42 PM
I Must say the world did not end but i did see a few web sites that stated thay where "last updated january 1900"

and one was "last updated january 19100"

not the end of the world but not quite right either :-)

and a friend of mine who works for a large bonk had to fix a email server that decided that all the email where sent in 1900 and should not get delivered because thay where too out of date :-)

but the funnest one would have to be a Y2K countdown clock that my flatemate got me about mid 1999 and at midnight it just stopped working. (maybe it was designed that way???)

Baldy
08-08-2002, 07:45 PM
Yes, and it was Microsofts fault I ran out of coffee today.......

Elwin, MS probably planned on no-one using Win95 after '99

Baldy
08-08-2002, 07:49 PM
> and a friend of mine who works for a large bonk had
> to fix a em

Robsonde, where does your friend work...... I would be prepared to work for even a quick bonk

(just my demented mind working overtime) BALDY

robsonde
08-08-2002, 07:55 PM
drunk at the keyboard? gulity as charged!!

my friend works for a bank.

Sam H
08-08-2002, 08:11 PM
The Y2K Bug came about because some of the old computers and other electrical devices that keep time were not programmed to keep going after the year 2000 so when it came around then those devices would go back to the original starting date, which was typically 1900.

The so called 'Y2K Bug' was blown out of proportion when people started thinking that all electrical devices would stop working and cause Mysterious glitches.

Sam H
08-08-2002, 08:16 PM
Bugger robsonde you got my hopes up, I started changing my future career path.

:D

godfather
08-08-2002, 08:16 PM
It came early for a large aluminium smelter....

A computer glitch at the Tiwai Pt aluminium smelter at midnight on New Year's Eve has left a repair bill of more than $1 million. Production in all the smelting potlines ground to a halt at the stroke of midnight when the computers shut down simultaneously and without warning. New Zealand Aluminium Smelters' general manager David Brewer said the failure was traced to a faulty computer software program, which failed to account for 1996 being a leap year. The computer was not programmed to handle the 366th day of the year, he said. "Each of the 660 process control computers hung up simultaneously at midnight," Mr. Brewer said.

The same problem occurred two hours later at Comalco's Bell Bay smelter, in Tasmania. New Zealand is two hours ahead of Tasmania. Both smelters use the same program, which was written by Comalco computer staff.

Mr. Brewer said the cause was difficult to trace and it was not till a telephone call in the morning from Bell Bay that the leap year link was made. "It was a complicated problem and it took quite some time to find out just what caused it."

Tiwai staff rallied through the night to operate the potlines manually and try to find the cause. The glitch was fixed and normal production restored by mid-afternoon. However, by then, the damage has been done. Without the computers to regulate temperatures inside the pot cells, five cells over-heated and were damaged beyond repair. Mr. Brewer said they would have to be replaced at a cost of more than $1 million.