PDA

View Full Version : Graphics Card for HP

Veale
08-08-2002, 03:34 PM
Am looking at upgrading my graphics card (nVidia TNT2, 32mb) to something more substantial, eg. a GeForce 4 card. (Need more gaming power!

I have heard numerous people say don't buy HP as they are too hard to upgrade, is this true.?:|

My specs are
1700+ Ghz
256 RAM
40gb
etc etc

Cheers

Veale :|

godfather
08-08-2002, 03:47 PM
My own experience, 1 PC (PIII 667) would not accept a card (PCI slot only, no AGP) just gave POST error.

Another unit (C600) accepted a PCI card fine, but couldnt deactivate old on-board, but wasnt a problem (no AGP slot)

So it depends on the PC. Other than that, I support the concept that they push, limited expandability but (in my view) good reliability (because you cant put incompatable hardware into them mainly)

Not really a gaming machine.

tweak\'e
08-08-2002, 04:13 PM
you should be able to upgrade it easy enough. if you are a gamer then keep away from the MX series.

things to watch out for- room for card to fit, power supply may not be big enough(oems are usually on the small side) and cooling.

codegirl
08-08-2002, 04:20 PM
tweak'e - just out of curiosity, why should you keep away from the MX series if you are a gamer??

tweak\'e
08-08-2002, 04:30 PM
MX series are the 'poormans' cards ;-) basicly cut down ver of the full card. slower but cheaper, aimed at the adverage joe. gamers really need a card that can perform very well such as the gf3ti500, gf4ti4600

codegirl
08-08-2002, 04:33 PM
Aahh, I see - thanks :)

Veale
08-08-2002, 08:33 PM
I do believe that "ti"= $$$.

Anyway to expand more, it's a HP Pavillion 710a, if anybodys had experience upgrading one, i'd be interested to know.

Cheers

Veale

godfather
08-08-2002, 08:57 PM
the specs *suggest* its got an AGP card in it.
Has it ? (nVIDIA GeForce2 MX™ 400 3D AGP Graphics with 64MB SDRAM)

I assumed it had "on motherboard" graphics chipset, or do they have these on board now?

Veale
08-08-2002, 09:10 PM
AGP, correct!

Full spec says: nVidia TNT2 M64, 3D AGP Graphics with 32mb of SDRAM.

Sounds pathetic doesn't it.

Veale

godfather
08-08-2002, 09:16 PM
But does it occupy the AGP slot, or is it on the mobo?

Shouldnt be a problem to swap AGP cards.

tweak\'e
08-08-2002, 10:00 PM
>I do believe that "ti"= $$$.

you want performance? you pay the price. no one said you had to get the top model ;-). a gf3 will out do a gf4mx in games for the same price.

Veale
09-08-2002, 08:08 AM
How do I find out if it is in the AGP slot or the motherboard?

Veale

bmason
09-08-2002, 09:19 AM
If the monitor plug is at the top of the case near the keybaord/mouse/serial/printer etc it will be onboard.

If it is on its own slot then its either PCI or AGP.

If your running windows 9x you can check by opening the system control panel, Device manager tab, View devices by connection.

Open Plug & Play BIOS then PCI Bus.

If your card is listed under the "... AGP Controller" section then its AGP, if its straight under PCI bus then its PCI.

Or in linux, open a terminal and type 'lspci', agp cards start with "01: . . .", pci starts with "00: . . ".

Jams
09-08-2002, 10:08 AM
hey Veale..
theres a difference with actualy having a AGP Slot and ur computer Saying it has AGP.

I kNow from experience. i tryed to upgrade my Hewlett Packard 6610 to a Geforce 2 MX 400 AGP, because i rembered my puta saying it has AGP.
So i went off to Harvey Norman and brought one. got home and tryed to install it, but to my suprise "weres the fricken AGP Slot" it didn't have one. so looked on the side of my case, there in Black and white, Intergrated AGP Graphics. INTERGRATED meaning on Board. so i took it back and had to go for the PCi Version of The TnT 2 M64 (the one u have right now). and wont even menchin the probs i had to go through to get that thing going..

AGP is the light brown coloured slot lined up next to ur PCI's
so it pays to check u have a AGP Slot before u Buy..

Veale
13-08-2002, 12:21 PM
Have looked in Device Manager and found the card is in a PCI slot.

Does this make the upgrade possible, impossible or difficult?

Veale

godfather
13-08-2002, 01:17 PM
I dont think you have proven what type of card yet.

Integrated "on board" video chips also show up as "PCI bus" so you still dont know if it has an AGP slot.

Where does the monitor cable plug into, if its not on one of the "slots" but nestled beside the printer port and serial port then its on board - you then need to open the cover and look for the AGP slot (if any)

Does the literature mention "shared RAM" anywhere, as this is a sure pointer to on board video.