PDA

View Full Version : Sorting Favourites

JJJJJ
08-08-2002, 09:51 AM
I notice in this months PRESS F1 a writer was told to right click in Favorites and click "sort by name". I don't get any such option. I have never seen such an option.
I'll ask his question again. How do I sort favorites alphabetically?
Jack

honeylaser
08-08-2002, 09:55 AM
Are you using IE? If so, that is how you do it. Click on the favourites drop down, right click on one of the entries, and choose "Sort By Name" which is at the bottom.

NathanTheKind
08-08-2002, 09:58 AM
Depending on how many pages you have in your favorites list, may depend on wheather you want to do this. go to the favorites menu and click Organise Favorites; Then drag the names of the pages into the order that you want them. This may be in alpahnumeric order or not,
Out of curiosity, what version of windows do you have, I don't think the right click and sort came until windows 98 SE.

:)

Susan B
08-08-2002, 10:05 AM
It works in Win98.

Go to the Start Menu's Favorites and do it there - don't just right click on the Favorites icon, right click on one of the actual favorites shortcuts.

JJJJJ
08-08-2002, 10:33 AM
It still does not work. It has never worked. I am useing XP. It did not work in 2000 or 98. I refuse to believe it works at all.
I am writing this in the open IE page and a long list of favorites is open at the side of the page. If I right click on any name, or anywhere in the column I get a menu that starts with open and finishes with properties.And nothing in between looks remotely like SORT.
Jack

NathanTheKind
08-08-2002, 10:37 AM
have you tried right clicking on a favorite in the favorites menu in the Start Menu not in the Favorites list in IE

JJJJJ
08-08-2002, 10:45 AM
Yes. And I get exactly the same menu. Jack

Babe Ruth
08-08-2002, 10:48 AM
Jack, Sorry I didn't catch which browser you are using on XP?

Babe.

honeylaser
08-08-2002, 10:50 AM
One of my machines is running IE 6 on XP and it works fine. Perhaps you need to upgrade your IE to the latest? (Providing you are running an old version)

Download IE6 here (http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/downloads/default.asp).

JJJJJ
08-08-2002, 10:53 AM
I am useing IE 6. Jack

honeylaser
08-08-2002, 11:01 AM
So you are LEFT clicking on the favourites menu up the top of your browser page? When the menu opens, are you RIGHT clicking on one of the entries? When you right click on one of the entries (i.e Links, which you shouldn't be able to get rid of) you should get a right click menu. Down the bottom, above properties it should say sort by name.

If not, why don't you try reinstalling IE6? Is it that big a deal to have them alphabetically?

Babe Ruth
08-08-2002, 11:02 AM
Jack, Hmmm, Weelll in IE6 click on "Favorites" on the top IE menu bar and RightClick any of the items displayed. The second-last option from the drop down menu should be "Sort By Name" (just above "Properties").

If it's not there then ...

Use your keyboard to sort the menu items by name:
Use the arrow keys to select the item on the menu that you want to sort.
Press SHIFT+F10 to view the shortcut menu.
Use either the DOWN ARROW key or the UP ARROW key to click Sort By Name, and then press ENTER.

Babe.

NathanTheKind
08-08-2002, 11:07 AM
This is taken directly from the Microsoft Support pages. If this doesn't work. I don't know what you can do. Site is Here (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q307719)

Sorting Internet Explorer 6.0 Favorites In Alphabetical Order
The information in this article applies to:
Microsoft Internet Explorer version 6 for Windows 98

Summary
You want to put your Internet Explorer 6.0 Favorites in alphabetical order.

More Information
To put your Internet Explorer 6.0 Favorites in alphabetical order

1. Start Internet Explorer.
2. Click Favorites, and then select a single Favorites icon from
the list.
3. Right-click the icon, and then click [b]Sort by Name[b/].

JJJJJ
08-08-2002, 11:08 AM
Yes to all your questions. BUT immediately above properties I have RENAME.
It's not realy a big deal. But it is important to me to find out why I can't get the option when other people can. As I said I have not had the option to "sort" with four different operating systems and with browsers from IE 4 to IE 6
Jack

JJJJJ
08-08-2002, 11:19 AM
OK it works. I guess I'm just thick. I clicked on Favorites in the top menu bar.and then right clicked on a name and I got the menu. They are now alphabetical. I keep the menu open down the rh side of the screen and I was useing it.
Thanks very much to all who helped.
Jack

tweak\'e
08-08-2002, 11:22 AM
strange one. have the installs been standard install or manafactures installs. its posible someone has removed the optoin. don't know how nor why anyone would bother. have you used a tweak or cleaning app on all the pc's you have had?

godfather
08-08-2002, 11:23 AM
The answer is here...since nobody yet spotted the clue above.

The sort option IS NOT AVAILABLE if you are using the "favourites" menu invoked from the panel displayed by clicking the "favourites" button.

You MUST use the MENU, where it says "File Edit View Favorites Tools Help"

Close the panel, and only do the operation on the favourites drop down menu when using the "Favorites" option NOT THE BUTTON

Read below:

Click the Favorites choice on the menu at the top of the Internet Explorer window. Right-click on any shortcut that appears in the drop-down menu, and then choose Sort by Name. (Make sure you right-click in the right place; this menu will not appear if you try to right-click on Add to Favorites or Organize Favorites, both of which appear at the very top of the menu. This menu option is also not available in the Favorites bar that appears at the left side of the IE window.