PDA

View Full Version : connecting to server

Donbe
07-08-2002, 07:50 PM
Hi and greetings from a first time computer owner
My problem is that when connecting to the web or email the machine tells me that there is no dail tone.
By unplugging and reconnecting the phone line I have dail tone.
why is this. Iam running XP on a brand new machine.
Thanks
Don

godfather
07-08-2002, 08:15 PM
Either a bad connection to the modem/phone lead, or the modem isn't releasing the line from last time (but then your phone wouldnt work)

Or wrong modem drivers (but dont really see how a mechanical act of unplugging/replugging would affect it)

To eliminate the connection, try unplugging the lead at the OTHER end and see if it still fixes it. If it fixes it by unplugging from either end, and the line isnt being held open (that means a phone still works on the line before you try to dial out) then its an obscure modem or driver problem

New computer? Take it back if its internal.

Graham Petrie
07-08-2002, 08:33 PM
Or could be you are using a normal phone lead, and not a modem lead (there is a difference in the number of wires.

This was also an un-documented fault with a series of Asus laptops from DSE. The modem is at fault, and does not let the line know it is there. How it works usually is that the modem reduces the resistance across the line (or increases - I forget). This lets the exchange know that there is a device wanting to dial, and a dial tone is produced. Themodems were faulty and were unable to make the "pick-up" signal. Removing and reinserting the plug created the same effect as the pick-up command, and thus you get a dial tone. You can also acheive it by picking up the phone, and then clicking dial, and then replacing the phone receiver. (ie use the phone to make the pick-up). If this is the case, take the PC back as the modem is at fault.

G P

godfather
07-08-2002, 08:41 PM
Thats an odd fault, probably involving a capacitor Graham. Phones create a low resistance for pickup I believe, so unplugging and replugging would not create a low return path, unless it allows a capacitor to charge when unplugged and then discharge?

Sounds like the problem though, if it was the wrong lead it still wouldnt work when plugged in again.

We need Peter Coleman to visit this thread!