PDA

View Full Version : Share Internet on Network

NathanTheKind
07-08-2002, 07:41 PM
Hi all another question that I'm sure you will be able to answer.

yesterday I set up a home network with 2 computers. (don't worry When i get more computers it will increase in size), And I was wondering how I go about making it so that the other computer can connect to the net through this machine an also connect to the net when this machine is connected?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I have another question that I need an answer for, but I will see if I can figure it out by myself first.

Thanks all

:)

godfather
07-08-2002, 07:45 PM
Version of Windows is....

Heather P
07-08-2002, 07:48 PM
You don't say what version of Windows.

98 on has ICS - Internet Connection Sharing. (Look for ICS in the Windows help menu). It works with dial-up but not Ultra or similar systems that have 2 cards to connect to the net.

The other way of doing it is with a Proxy. Some proxies are free, others cost.

NathanTheKind
07-08-2002, 07:49 PM
Sorry... Duh

Windows 98SE
Internet Explorer 6
$19 DSE Network cards
10/100Mbps Ethernet Switch

I hope that is enough info, if not just ask
:D I completely forgot about them. My memory is getting worse ever day. It is driving me nuts. :D

NathanTheKind
07-08-2002, 08:07 PM
Thanks Heather. :)

I cheaked help, and did (or at least think I did) as it said. This computer is set up correctly but the other machine, I'm still not sure exactly what it is I have to do with that, If I set it up exactly the same as this it still doesn't work. :(

Is there anything else I should know??

Thanks again

Heather P
07-08-2002, 09:14 PM
The two machines are set up differently - one acts as the server, the other as the client.

It's a couple of years since I last did it but there is a readme file. (probably called readme.txt) I remember coming across it whilst installing the server and printing it out in notepad and using it.

Sorry I can't be more specific - with Ultra I use a proxy.

tweak\'e
07-08-2002, 09:23 PM
http://www.wown.info/j_helmig/basics.htm

http://www.practicallynetworked.com/

windows ics is easy (when it works). look for ics config and remote dissconection utility.

NathanTheKind
08-08-2002, 10:06 AM
Thanks all Hopefully I will be able to get the net sharing set up now.