PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft to reveal windows code.

Sam H
07-08-2002, 04:50 PM
WASHINGTON--Microsoft will reveal hundreds of pieces of proprietary computer code from its monopoly Windows operating system in the next several weeks to comply with an antitrust settlement it signed with the U.S. Justice Department last year, the company said on Monday.

Read the full story here (http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1104-948381.html).

Graham L
07-08-2002, 05:02 PM
Or here (somewhat closer to home ...) New Zealand P C World (http://pcworld.co.nz/) in an article called Microsoft loosens grip on its software. :D

Chilling_Silence
07-08-2002, 05:08 PM
YAY! Hey, if you ask me, we need a killer OS and I know how to make it, Make Windows - Even 98 - Open Source, what do u guys think of that aye, keeping all other microsoft products secret, but Windows - Open Source, Man, there'd be no stopping the world of Operating Systems!!!
Get back to me
Chilling_Silence

parry
07-08-2002, 05:52 PM
Yup, would be nice to be open source and compile the kernel how you would like it etc. Although the cynic in me would suggest it's so buggy already it may not be the best starting point ;-). With so many lines of code I heard a rumour that they prefer to write new code to fix the bugs rather than trying to find it in the existing code, so if this is true it's much bigger than it needs to be.

Would be nice having something that was easy to configure as well. Whenever I install Windows, the first half hour or so is re-configuring it to how I would like it, rather than the abysmal defaults they normally set.

Also, with each version of Win they seem to be trying to make it more "user-friendly", and in doing so dumb things down. It makes it better for newbies which is a good thing, but makes it harder and harder to configure things yourself with more things hidden in unlikely places or requiring a reg hack. Would be great to have more control.

I actually think that open source windows would probably hurt alot of software companies who make their money by creating a product that effectively does a task the O/S does, but alot better. As the O/S improves there is less need for addons.

I have had a brief interlude with Mandrake Linux, but the lack of compatibility with hardware & software forced me back to doze.

Graham L
07-08-2002, 06:06 PM
The way to make a reliable OS is to remove "functionality", not add it. All the Windows versions are beyond repair. The major Open Source projects (Linux, GNU, BSD) have many individuals who understand major parts of the systems and a few who understand how it all works. There is no-one who understands Windows. There are many "teams" who bodge code to make it "sort-of work" with other code. XP was touted as having 30 million lines of "new code". No wonder it has many bugs.

parry
07-08-2002, 06:29 PM
Yep, your probably right Graham. Having a basic but stable system is preferable providing some reasonable compatibility with software is retained. In that world there would still be a strong place for addon type software as the O/S simply doesnt do it. Just a matter of finding the dividing line.

I didnt realise XP was such a behemoth! Wow, the software vendors could blame eachother for errors forever with MS blaming the individual application and the others blaming MS. oops thats right, they already do ;-)

BIFF
07-08-2002, 06:45 PM
Zero Functionality= Fully Reliable? I guess that must be why linux is so... ahem... reliable then.

parry
07-08-2002, 07:01 PM
he he good one Biff! Your goin rark up some of those Linux fans methinks. Put on your fire-resistant suit! :D :D