PDA

View Full Version : windows 98se error install

mikaelanz
07-08-2002, 02:56 PM
I have a new hard drive installed, my intention was to reload windows 98se and then upgrage to windows xp.

the result is now that both systems are loaded.Xp works fine but 98 has the following error messages.

What I would like to do is reformatt and reload.

file is missing or corrupted c:windows\himem.sys
error on config.sys file on line 1
file is missing or corrupted c:windows\emm386.exe
error on config.sys file on line 2
error unable to detect ATAPI ide cd-rom drive
Atapi ide cd-rom device driver not loaded

following files are missing or corrupted c:\windows\himem.sys
c:\windows\dblbuff.sys
c:\windows\ifshlp.sys
warning high memory area(hma) is not avaliable
additional low memory(below640k) will be used instead
file not found
cannot find win.com unable to continue loading windows

c:\>

this is all under command prompt only and also suggests using scanreg
but this didn't work.

Any and all advice would be appreciated

Elwin Way
07-08-2002, 03:13 PM
Sounds like a typical upgrade gone wrong. The general concensus is that it's way better to do a clean install of XP rather than upgrade.

The problems you are having are caused by XP removing DOS but not the usual Win98 boot files.

Graham L
07-08-2002, 03:14 PM
Did you manage to install both 98 and XP in the same "WINDOWS" directory? ;-)

I imagine that the only fix for that would be to format and try again. I think most Windows knowbies would recommend making a partition for each. :-(

Have a look at the FAQ (button at top right hand corner of this page).

mikaelanz
07-08-2002, 03:26 PM
I'll explain a bit further about what happened.

I had a 8g hard drive loaded with the xp upgrade and it worked perfectly.

However I ran out of space.Lat week I purchased a new 40g hard drive from etc computers in auckland.

I installed it only to find that it was used and not new as I thought.
In the meantime my old hard drive appears to have lost all its infoafter the etc install.

I purchased a new drive from Advantage computers after obtaining a refund but no apologie or offers of assistance from etc.

This was installed and windows 98 loaded and worked fineso the upgrage took place.Something has gone wrong somewhere as xp works and windows doesn't.

Before placing this posting, I did get info on reformatting hard drives etc but one of the problems seems to be that I can't get into 98 to obtain format.com file

so thats where I am stalled at the moment so while I'm not quite a newbie I'm not a techie either, so some plan englidsh advise would be good.

godfather
07-08-2002, 03:42 PM
It looks to me as if you have Config.sys and Autoexec.bat containing commands in the root drive

Xp is NOT dos based, so rename these two, in my installation they are there but empty. They are calling these programs but they dont exist in your Win XP system.

Try the easy bits first...

mikaelanz
07-08-2002, 04:24 PM
Hi Godfather,

further to your advice, when you say to rename these to files, what do you rename them to???? and where do you find them.

I searched for them on xp but there isn't any trace

godfather
07-08-2002, 04:38 PM
Firstly, if you are going to search using Xp, look around the preferences in advanced options and make sure you can search system files. You will never find them if you dont enable it.

These files are in the root directory, as I mentioned.

C:\ or whatever directory you installed the system to.

Graham L
07-08-2002, 04:55 PM
... and rename them to: "config.w98" and "autoexec.w98". Anything will do, but it helps to know what they were. If this doesn't fix it, you mught be doing it again. ;-( (The installation CDs ought to have suitable FORMAT.COM programmes).

tweak\'e
07-08-2002, 06:26 PM
mayby ive missed something here but if you are installing XP why install win98? if you boot useing the XP cd, it has the format tools on it. i assume during the process you will need to insert win98 cd for XP to allow the install to go ahead.

godfather
07-08-2002, 06:56 PM
Well spotted, I see the error is in Win 98, which will need the config & autoexec....I assumed it was in XP.

It will be due to the "dos" files either not existing or at the wrong path?

If the 98 CD is a restore CD then often XP wont recognise it, requiring the installation of 98, then upgrading. This is what I thought was the case, so why is 98 complaining, it shouldnt even be there!

"XP works but windows doesn't" ?? XP IS Windows isnt it, if you have upgraded you wont have 98 anymore? Or are you trying to dual boot?

confused...............

mikaelanz
07-08-2002, 07:29 PM
Hi Godfather and all.

Just to clear it all up, here goes.

The computer was already preinstalled with 98 when I was given xp.
As I wasn't familiar with it I thought the easiest way was just to upgrade the system with xp rather than the full system.

When I installed the hard drive I used a recovery disk and everything was perfect, then I loaded the xp upgrade.

Unfortunately for me my daughter clicked a few buttons during this process.

The end result being that it is dual boot with only one working operating system.

My intention was not to have a dual boot, partioned drive or anything, which was how the old hard drive was and all worked fine.

So as it stands right now, I haven't had a chance to try out your suggestions as yet but I will shortly.Hopefully I'll have some positive news.

I'm just wondering, can I create an xp boot disk and reformat through there as opposed to going through 98????

thanks to date

godfather
07-08-2002, 07:39 PM
Thought that may have been the case.
If you have an XP "upgrade" CD, you have to show it you have windows 98 or later. I suspect the recovery CD wont "look like" a windows CD, which means you have to either:

Borrow a 98 or ME CD

Do a restore to 98 from your recovery CD

And then upgrade to XP.

XP allows the creation deletion of partitions (look at Help) but the XP CD is the Boot Disk effectively. I cant remember if it allows you to delete partitions though. Have you tried running the XP upgrade CD again (it will see 98 on the HDD and should allow installation, perhaps with the options you want?

If you have a full XP install CD you dont need to go via 98.