PDA

View Full Version : KaZaA

cicero
07-08-2002, 10:37 AM
I have found KaZaA and found it good to get music from,BUT 90% of the time Instead of music I get dat files ,which may contain the music,but I am unable to open or delete.When I try to delete it says these files are being used by someone else and can't be deleted,if I try to open I get,file in use try again,which one can but it remains the same,that is as these dat files which don't open.
I hope I have explained this enough.

Baldy
07-08-2002, 11:13 AM
Hi Cicero,

The files you are talking about are "uncompleted" downloads..... Once the mp3 has bee fully downloaded onto your computer, the dats will vanish.

BALDY :-)

cicero
07-08-2002, 12:52 PM
You have me there Baldy,what do you mean about mp3?To my knowledge have never had mp3.

dipstick01
07-08-2002, 12:58 PM
MP3's are the format in which the music is saved.
The reason the file is in use whenever you try to do anything is that the download is either not complete and still showing as a dat file or someone is uploading the file from your computer through kazaa. You have to wait till the download has finished before you can play it on your computer....you will know it has finished when "complete" appears beside the music title in the kazaa traffic screen and the file in your shared folder changes from a .dat file to a music file. You can preview the song/video in kazaa by selecting the file in the traffic screen and then clicking on the right hand button on your mouse......the first option on the menu that appears is preview/play.

godfather
07-08-2002, 12:59 PM
I think he means the dat files are incomplete downloads, not files you can use. Finish the download and they should revert to what you downloaded, be it MP3, wav, or whatever you are downloading.

cicero
07-08-2002, 01:19 PM
Some of the dat files have been there for a fortnight or more?

sam m
07-08-2002, 02:06 PM
Hi,
Carrying on from the others. It sounds like a combination of 2 things. The first is that the files are incomplete files, this can occur if you have tried to download the same file from different sources and you didnt continue downloading or they were interrupted or stopped either by yourself or the other person. It seems that maybe kazaa is still waiting to carry on d/loading perhaps or in the theatre maybe you were trying to preview and kazaa is still trying to access that file.

Question..... when you use kazaa and click on traffic, are there still files there? maybe incomplete files? if so and you do not want to carry on with those, then right click on any of them and choose cancel all downloads . Right click again and this time select clear downloaded and erroneous . This should clear those files in traffic and also in your share folder . Close kazaa right down (that includes right clicking on the icon that is in the bottom right hand taskbar and choosing close kazaa .

Go to your folder where your files are kept and they should be all gone.

hope this helps

sam m

Hervard
07-08-2002, 03:01 PM
Some files that you download using KaZaA might appear to be of one kind of file extension, but are really DAT files, and might contain a virus. You won't know this until you try downloading it. Make sure you have your anti-virus protection going while using KaZaA (and any other time, for that matter).

cicero
07-08-2002, 03:32 PM
I say this quite sincerly,thanks lads,it's good to know there are some good lads out there.All is sorted

Baldy
07-08-2002, 03:40 PM
Me again Cicero

You will find that some stuff you want to download dosen't instantly download onto your computer. Unless you retry to download the files, by clicking "Resume Download" or "Find More Sources For Download" those DAT files could sit there for ever and a day.

Thats the fun of p2p. Be patient, it will happen

BALDY

Susan B
07-08-2002, 06:29 PM
> Some of the dat files have been there for a fortnight
> or more?

Some of mine have been there for months. :-(

Because most of the other users that you are downloading from are in the Northern Hemisphere they often aren't online at the same time as yourself.

Thus if they or I get disconnected or can't stay online until the song has completely downloaded I might not catch them online again for a long time (if ever!).

cicero
07-08-2002, 07:26 PM
Thanks for that Baldy,I really appreciate the assistance ofyou and the other chaps ,I am repeating myself ,but I am thrilled to be able to at least begin to understand the mysteries of all to do with computers.