PDA

View Full Version : Windows Explorer handy tip

Susan B
07-08-2002, 10:23 AM
This is a neat trick:

It can be a time-consuming process to expand a folder by clicking on the (+) for each and every sub-directory. This tip lets you expand and contract them all at once, with one keystroke.

While in any application that is based on the explorer interface (e.g. Windows Explorer) simple highlight the parent folder you wish to expand and press '*' (asterix on the keypad) and all the sub folders will expand out, press '-' (minus on the keypad) and they'll all contract back again.

I found it here (http://www.winguides.com/registry/display.php/242/), along with other handy tips.

Be warned though, that when I tried this trick on a folder with a lot of sub-folders it took my poor old girl about 40 seconds to open it all. The grunty jobs (ie everyone else's PC except mine and Elwins :D) should be a lot quicker.

dipstick01
07-08-2002, 01:17 PM
Thanks Susan, this looks like another great site to add to the favourites. Back in a few hours once I've had a good read

Graham L
07-08-2002, 04:10 PM
"Asterix"? There isn't a "shrewd cunning little warrior ... [who] gets his superhuman strength from a magic potion brewed by Getafix" on this keypad.

There isn't even an Obelix. ;\

Heather P
07-08-2002, 04:15 PM
Maybe... but this on-line community has some significant parallels with a little Gaulish village that we know so well....

Baldy
07-08-2002, 04:20 PM
LOL @ GL....... I like your sharp wit

godfather
07-08-2002, 04:25 PM
Will you tell Susan B that Asterix<>Asterisk (or perhaps her Regional Settings are for Gaul (or for Gall)?

Susan B
07-08-2002, 05:50 PM
LOL Good one Graham, that cheered me up.

Terry P's scolding (http://pressf1.co.nz/thread.jsp?forum=1&thread=23305&message=71144) has hit a raw nerve and I've resolved to button up a bit from now on. :-(

You guys can go on the rampage in my threads anytime you like though. ;-)

godfather: you obviously didn't go and look at that page otherwise you would have seen that I had copied and pasted the tip. That wasn't the only spelling error but I think I corrected the other one. I'm sure they put them in to test if people are actually reading them. :D

godfather
07-08-2002, 05:58 PM
Excuses....tut tut...
[i]Probably get flamed for this off-topic comment :O

Babe Ruth
07-08-2002, 06:02 PM
Gee thanks Susan B

Here kitty kitty... your turn for the bowl

BTW keep those hints rolling in

Babe.

godfather
07-08-2002, 06:09 PM
Babe, if you are going to share the bowl with the cat, please flush it first....