PDA

View Full Version : Purchasing a computer

DungBeatle
07-08-2002, 12:45 AM
I'm looking at buying a new computer. I've got about $3,000 and I want to get it built not buy a ready made(ie HP, COMPAQ etc). I don't need periphials and would like a good Graphics and Sound card. I also don't need an Operating system. Any ideas? Or things I should watch out for? I've got a reasonable knowledge of computers and their workings but try to keep it fairly simple. Thanks.

disabledseaman
07-08-2002, 03:52 AM
tweak'e help this person

Susan B
07-08-2002, 08:54 AM
LOL Tell me, disabledseaman, how are you related to tweak'e? Father, brother, cousin, uncle, nephew or friend? ;-)

DungBeatle, the first thing you ought to try is do a search on the forum as there are heaps of questions like yours.

Try this (http://pressf1.co.nz/thread.jsp?forum=1&thread=22758&message=68838&q=updating#68838) thread for a start.

kiwibeat
09-08-2002, 08:55 PM
lots of places on the web will do this I used Ascent.co.nz last time mainly because i live in wgtn they are pretty good with their warrranties etc and have a nice web site

pcuser
12-08-2002, 07:26 PM
Have a look at Valley Broking Services Website. There component prices are some of the best in the Wellington Region, and they also offer great service

www.vbs.co.nz

Viking
12-08-2002, 07:47 PM
The PC Company is a NZ manufacturer who can custom build a computer for you using top quality components and top quality workmanship.

They are NZ wide and very competitively priced. They have also won a lot of awards.

Viking
12-08-2002, 07:50 PM
Oh and I forgot to mention that they keep there prices lower than just about everyone else

robo
12-08-2002, 08:02 PM
Don't be a fool! Computers are bad. They waste time and make you hang around on the internet.

robo.

robo
12-08-2002, 08:03 PM
But seriously, I always reckon you spend as little as possible and be prepared to upgrade on a regular basis. This gives you an excuse to hang around in computer shops (but saves you money, trust me).

Get the cheapest you can, whatever brand suits. Then maybe a grunter video card.

robo.

Sam H
12-08-2002, 08:30 PM
Buying a PC from the PC Company was the worst mistake I ever made, although they keep the prices down the components are not the best and through my experience their service and the knowledge of the workers is absolutely shocking.

Stay away from them, there are a lot of better deals and service out there.

Regards
Sam

Viking
12-08-2002, 09:19 PM
> Buying a PC from the PC Company was the worst mistake
> I ever made, although they keep the prices down the
> components are not the best and through my experience
> their service and the knowledge of the workers is
> absolutely shocking.
>
> Stay away from them, there are a lot of better deals
> and service out there.
>
> Regards
> Sam

What absolute tripe... just coz you THINK you got a bad deal, isn't a reason why EVERYONE ELSE shouldn't go to The PC Company.

Terry Porritt
12-08-2002, 09:32 PM
I've always believed in supporting your local friendly corner PC shop. As pcuser says VBS is really good, but they are a long way from you. Ask around your area about who provides a good deal and service.

Your can build a rapport with your local guys and if they are good you will get what you want.

The local builder will supply a 'clone' which is more amenable to later upgrades, and he's on hand if there is a problem.

No direct experience of PC Company except what I've seen second hand, but they persist in supplying poorly designed cases, and seem obsessed with small power supplies.
From that point of view if they dont stock decent cases then they cant custom build, can they?

Sam H
13-08-2002, 04:41 PM
> What absolute tripe... just coz you THINK you got a
> bad deal, isn't a reason why EVERYONE ELSE shouldn't
> go to The PC Company.

Viking, I was only giving a personal opinion about buying a PC. I don't think I got a bad deal I KNOW I got a bad deal, it took them over 7 months to fix a problem with my brand new computer. In the process of trying to fix it they even gave me a completely new system which failed to resolve the problem. Each time I had taken it in I had told them my suspicions of what was wrong and in the end they decided to listen to me and the problem was fixed.

When I was purchasing the PC I asked how much it would cost to upgrade the graphics card to a Ge Force 2, I was told that I would have to buy a brand new Mother Board as well to do this. I was shocked at this statement and said "but the mother board that is in there already has an AGP slot" they managed to reply with an "um...ah...um...well...um...you wont need to then".

I know of 11 people personally who have all purchased bad PC's from the PC Company, 7 of those people eventually got refunds. Now lets not also forget the hot glue and string experience another Press F1 poster had.

Regards
Sam

Baldy
13-08-2002, 07:19 PM
All I can say is the Dunedin PC Company is exemplary. I know four people with PC Company computers. Three have run as sweet as nuts, and the others is fixed without delay and faultlessly on the occasion it has failed.

No matter where you go, there are always a faulty product. PC Company products aren't immune from that. Nothing with moving parts is

Hey, even other brands have problems

mikebartnz
13-08-2002, 08:57 PM
Sorry Viking but there have been many postings here about the PC company and not many of them have been good.
PC World have a lineup in this months issue issue showing where some of the PC stand and the PC company doesn't get a mention. TL (http://www.tls.co.nz) rate pretty highly in both catagories.

Jen C
13-08-2002, 10:21 PM
I purchased my PC from the PC Company (Auck). The "package" was easily the best value for money and came with a free (at that time) 12 month ISP subscription. But.......

1. Ordered a 933 MHz Pent 3, was delivered someone else's AMD 700 MHz (discovered by accident 4 days later). PC Company very apologetic and a staff member personally delivered and installed the correct PC with a complimentary optical mouse within a week.
2. Modem was found to be faulty at about day 14 post delivery - PC returned, new modem installed, brought home and found also to be intermittantly faulty - returned that same day and yet another modem put in.
3. Mouse died.... returned and replaced with no questions.
4. PC died .... returned and OS reinstalled.
5. PC died again, this time all my fault but they reinstalled the OS again with no charge.
6. PC trying very hard to die, instructions sent by PC support on how to "refresh" the system.
7. Refreshing system made it worst, PC returned for complete reinstallation of OS.
8. Mucky situation now as PC still has problems (long complex story)
9. Reformatted PC myself (getting good at this!)
10. so far so good.........

all of this was in the PC's first 12 months

Despite all of this, I would still considered buying from the PC Company again but would grill them on the parts/brands being used.

kiwibeat
14-08-2002, 01:37 AM
Get one built using good components a good motherboard is most important followed by memory at least 256 megs i use maxtor HDD get one at least 40 gigs 7200 rpm ata 100 also a decent monitor 17" minimum

http://www.tastech.co.nz/
Family System #4: AMD Athlon XP1800+ (1.53GHz) CPU & Fan, Gigabyte 7VRX Motherboard, 256Mb PC2100 DDR266, 60Gb Seagate Barracuda IV IDE Hard Drive, 64Mb Leadtek GF2 MX400 Video Card, 17" Philips 107S Monitor (3 Year Philips Warranty), Mid ATX Tower Case 300w, LG 32x CD ReWriter w/Software, Integrated Sound, 500w PMPO 2.1 Speakers & Subwoofer, 56k PCI Lucent/Agere Modem, 1.44Mb Sony Floppy Drive, Standard PS/2 Keyboard, Genius NetScroll Mouse, Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition (OEM CD), Microsoft Works Suite 2002 (Word 2002, Works 6, Works Clipart, Encarta Std 2002, Money 2002 & Picture It! Photo 2002) (OEM CD), Norton AntiVirus 2002 Gold (OEM CD), Acer 3300U 600x1200 USB Scanner, Epson Stylus C41UX Inkjet Printer $2310 seems like a good deal neg lower if you can leaving out bits you dont want namely software scanner etc

kiwibeat
14-08-2002, 01:47 AM
Stay away from H/P and ComPaq or any store brought PCs another site worth looking at is I use a Abit M/board and can highly recommend them

http://www.oemcomputers.co.nz/oemsystem.htm
nice AMD system for $2468 without all the software that you dont need

kiwibeat
14-08-2002, 01:52 AM
I use a older KT7 Abit M/board and find them a class above the rest

- ABIT's KX7-333R, the latest in a long line of high-performance ABIT motherboards, has been declared "Editor's Choice" by AMD3D.com. "This board is perfect for those of you who just want a new motherboard but already have a good sound card, NIC etc. For the overclockers the KX7-333R is potentially a tweakers delight. SoftMenu III and high quality components promise great stability at high speeds."

At AMD3D.com, they were especially interested in the KX7s overclocking features: "With the KX7-333R's SoftMenu™III, tweaking your system like a finely-tuned racing machine has never been easier or better. ABIT's famous SoftMenu™III brings a plethora of BIOS settings, designed to deliver optimal performance and stability to your system. Front side bus can be set anywhere from 100 - 250MHz, and CPU, DDR, and AGP voltages can be tweaked with ease. All of this is done via the KX7-333R's jumperless design, allowing you to change and optimize your BIOS, hassle-free."

Jams
14-08-2002, 10:15 AM
im gonna have to agree with Sam on this one.

My advice is don't go to the PC Company, heres why.

there have been so many problems on this forum with people who have purchased PC's from the PC Company, and here is my friends experinence..

he brought a nice new machine from the pc company, it was running good for about 3mnths until he smelt something melting (every computer users worst nightmare) so he turned of his PC and opened it up, to his suprise he found all the hardware was fastend down with a hot glue gun. this plastic stuff was everywhere.

there ya go
another story from the big book of PC Troubles. Ya all come bak next time ya hear..

Jams

Jim B
14-08-2002, 10:27 AM
Think Different.

http://www.apple.co.nz/hardware/

GaryK
14-08-2002, 05:15 PM
What is a OEM CD ?

Baldy
14-08-2002, 06:11 PM
> Think Different.
>
> http://www.apple.co.nz/hardware/

Sorry Jim,
Can't agree, sorry. I have a friend who has an iMac - and although a very nice computer - compared to a PC, it dosen't come close.
Have you tried comparing software. The PC leaves the Apple for dead on that one.
BALDY :-)

godfather
14-08-2002, 06:17 PM
> What is a OEM CD ?

Original Equipment Manufacturer
CD that is supplied by the computer maker/assembler, not as supplied in a shrink wrapped box

Chris Wilson
14-08-2002, 08:25 PM
3 grand????
i'm about to knock one together for my better ½, as she is sick of sharing hers with her son. she has a spare moniter, mouse, keyboard, printer, modem and scanner. All i'm making up is the box with motherboard 1.1gig processer 256 meg of ram 80 gig HDD, floppy, and CDR. Total hardware cost if i built it tommorow, without shopping round is $1019 plus the cost of 2 network cards, and cabling.
I will never buy a package. I have seen just how promt support is, and realise that support for failed components is the same if not better than support for complete systems.

O yeah, just to add fuel to the fire; some PC shops crack me up, i don't claim to know that much, i certainly dont work 40hours/week selling comps, but going in with friends who want parts and know even less is great fun. Many PC shops have some staff who know thier stuff, but many places have those who know just how to BS. I dont look like a geek, i go in wearing ripped clothes swetty and scruffy, looking like i just been loading trucks on a building site. i keep my mouth shut and let the guy try to sell ideas that i know are flawed. Still i let them go for it, and then wipe the smile off its face by displaying a little knowledge, just enough to let him know i wasn't buying what he was selling. The moral of the story is that if you do buy a made up package, go in with someone who really knows there stuff. There's alot of PC shops who will gladly sell you a dead parrot.

godfather
14-08-2002, 08:27 PM
> alot of PC shops who will gladly sell you a dead
> parrot.

Its not dead, I tell you, its just resting!!

kiwibeat
14-08-2002, 08:33 PM
http://www.blitzpcs.co.nz/index.php?location=catalogue&action=browse&product=1677

Case: Auriga VF-2001GH Super Midi Tower Case ATX 300w TUV P/S P4 Screwless 1xFan Motherboard: Chaintech 7VGL-S Summit Apogee Athlon XP/ Athlon / Duron VIA KT333CE CPU: AMD Athlon XP-1800+(OD256k) 266 1.53GHz Box with Fan RAM: 256MB PC-2700 DDR Ram FDD: Panasonic 1.44MB Floppy Drive HDD: Seagate 60G Hard Drive (7200RPM) CDROM/DVD: AOpen 56x CD-Rom Drive CDWriter: AOpen 40x12x48 CDRewriter Video Card: Chaintech GeForce 4 Ti4200 128 MB DDR TV In/Out, Vga Out, DVI Out SoundCard: Onboard Monitor: Auriga 17TF 17" flat monitor 0.27 mm Dot Pitch,1280x1024 Keyboard: Genius TwinTouch K/B & Optical Mouse Mouse: As above Modem: Dynalink Internal 56K Modem (PCI) Network: Onboard O/S: Windows XP Home

Price: $2500.00 inc. GST

tech
15-08-2002, 12:25 PM
To be fair, yes most PC shops have useless technicians but do you know what they are paid?!

So while there are a few experienced suckers working there for peanuts most of them are "entry level" guys with their first IT job.

Chris Wilson
15-08-2002, 05:11 PM
i shop at computerfuture.co.nz in CHCH because the people behind the counter have a resonable idea what they are selling... theres one shop just up the road from it where the pigeon english speaking (german?) shop assistant will assure me the product is good for ANY purpose i ask about... It's a bit of a worry really

Susan B
15-08-2002, 09:05 PM
> theres one shop just up the road
> from it where the pigeon english speaking (german?)
> shop assistant will assure me the product is good for
> ANY purpose i ask about...

Is that the one on the opposite side of the road (ie left side) going east about 50 metres or less?

I will never buy anything from those rude, arrogant, unhelpful baskets again. I can't understand why they are still in business with their shocking customer service.

Chris Wilson
15-08-2002, 09:58 PM
Susan,
Theres 2 shops on the oppisite side of the road... yes its one of them.
i'm saying nothing else here, because if they ever read it, there would probably be legal consequences

i'll send you an email.....

-=JM=-
15-08-2002, 10:33 PM
I'm preddy sure I know what you are on about Chris. Computer Future are good.

But those ones and their boar aren't so good.

Heather P
15-08-2002, 11:01 PM
I buy computers from a local firm. The guy who owns it is in his early 20's, has a computer degree and was Dux at high school (which is where he started the business - selling computers to the school). The fact that I've known him since he was 4 and his Dad is my accountant are bonuses. Great service and good pricing.

I will not, under any circumstances what-so-ever, deal with another local firm. A very tall, arrogant sod. Others round here have the same opinion.

I'd suggest asking around for local firms who provide good support. If you want a recommendation to a small, excellent West Auckland company - ask and I'll post it.

Graham Petrie
15-08-2002, 11:23 PM
Had to reply to you Baldy. Dunedin PC Company is where I bought my last PC from just over 18 months ago. The salesman is a little slow, and has only basic knowledge, but the techs are good.

Usual delay of twice the stated delivery time.
A little too much hot glue, but no string, and not as bad as some stories I have heard.
The monitor died twice - replaced no questions asked both times.
The printer died before the first cartridge ran out - replaced no questions asked with a free set of cartridges.
CPU overheated - again, problem fixed.

I had a motorcycle back then, and so they even picked it up from my place and dropped it off again. Granted I lived on each of Carroll, Lees and Stafford Streets during that time and they are on Crawford (300-400m away from all those).

The techs know what they are doing, and always have an intelligent answer. They are also the first to admit that their PC's have a high return rate for waranty work. I don't blame them for the shocking PC as it was assembled in Hamilton, but the PC Company in Hamilton sucks.

I would never buy from there again as Otago Computer Supplies in Green Island is excellent, and the deals and delivery times from Advantage Computers in Palmerston North are great, whereas I was not happy with PC Co.

But you are right, The service guys at Dunedin are good (even if the salesman isn't quite up to scratch).

G P

Heather P
15-08-2002, 11:31 PM
Duh? Are you guys telling me that components dying in a new computer is NORMAL?

Things are even more backwards the other side of the Bombay Hills than I thought....

Graham Petrie
15-08-2002, 11:56 PM
Heather - As far as the PC Co. is concerned - yes.

The point of my post was to agree that the staff at PC Co. in Dunedin are good, but to point out that good staff a good product does not make.

PC Co. are shoddy "cowboys", and have a terrible service reputation, but big-ups to the boys at Dunedin who actually know their shizit.

G P

Chris Wilson
16-08-2002, 02:44 AM
maybe we should help Dungbeetle, by letting him know where he can sourse things in or near palmaston north.

just an idea before we run away with this thread completely..........

Graham Petrie
16-08-2002, 03:26 PM
Good point Chris - thanks.

Dung... I see you live in Palmerston North. I haven't had experience with other distributors in your area, but I highly recommend Advantage COmputers. They know their stuff, and have excellent prices and service. Their website is Advantage (http://www.mallnz.co.nz/sites/advantage/default.asp).

Or, you are just a hop, skip and a jump to Wellington. Perhaps some Wellingtonians can shed some light on good distributors there?

For $3000 you will get a very decent system.

I hesitate to give specific brands and models the thumbs up as I think often these things are personal, but if you let me know what you want the PC for, I could offer some advice on the type of specs to look for, and then you can choose brands and models to suit your taste and pocket.

G P