PDA

View Full Version : FAQ #999: How do I stop HP ads from crashing Opera?

Elwin Way
06-08-2002, 10:16 PM
FAQ #999: How do I stop HP ads from crashing Opera?

The following information applies to Opera browsers version 5 and over only.

Some bright spark decided to go overboard with a lovely JAVA advertisement that displays an animated 3D wireframe ripple. It is interactive, and you can adjust 3 settings to play around with animation.

Unfortunately, because the advertisement was a small application (or a Java Applet) instead of the usual GIF format pictures, and apparently was never tested across all platforms and browsers (which is a must when dealing with the Internet) it had a nasty suicidal tendency and liked crashing the Opera browser.

There is a simple fix:

1- Start Opera with a blank page.
2- Go to File -> Preferences and click on the Multimedia section.
3- You will see an option to Enable Java. Take the tick out of this.
4- Close or restart Opera (for safety measures)

This will stop all Java applets from running. It is generally not needed, and only (ideally) adds interactivity to web sites.

The HP ads will stop showing, but you will still see GIF and JPG ads.

You do not need Java Enabled to access PressF1.

EOF

Chris Wilson
06-08-2002, 10:23 PM
Good advice, but didn't the problem fix it self?
I seem to remember seeing Bruce post somewhere that the ads were nolonger going out to opera using persons.. I have not seen one for ages, instead is a standard style idg.net.nz ad.

Elwin Way
07-08-2002, 12:02 AM
I seem to remember advising you to disable java about 3 days ago. Maybe that's why you have stopped seeing the ads...

(duh!)

Chris Wilson
07-08-2002, 12:12 AM
but i have reinabled java...
i think my problem exemption is to do with the fact that bruce changed things at server end so people who run opera identifying itself as opera dont get the java ad anymore
i am running full power opera with java on.
no crash, i see ads other than hp-java ads now!

Elwin Way
07-08-2002, 12:19 AM
What version of Java you got?

Chris Wilson
07-08-2002, 12:27 AM
the answer to these and many other exciting questions......

and many other exciting questions......

Version

Build

Platform
Win32

System
Windows 98

Java
Sun Java Runtime Environment 1.4

Elwin Way
07-08-2002, 10:28 AM
Aha! See I bet you I am right - the ads only affect Java runtime 1.3.1 (or thereabouts.)

Bruce, I may have found the problem!

:D

Biggles
07-08-2002, 11:18 AM
> Aha! See I bet you I am right - the ads only affect
> Java runtime 1.3.1 (or thereabouts.)
>
> Bruce, I may have found the problem!
>
> :D

Yeah well, I kinda already said as much a while back but thanks for agreeing with me ;-)

Elwin Way
07-08-2002, 11:26 AM
No I meant that the problem may only lie with people who have opera browsers running java v1.3.1

Chris is running 1.4 and says he has no problems.

So therefore, do we tell people to upgrade their java?

Biggles
07-08-2002, 11:32 AM
Yes, I know what you meant - first thign I did was tets it here and discovered it worked on Opera running on Jim's machine which has a different Java version to mine.

So yes, if folks are willing to downlaod a new run time it will solve the problem, I just don't like having to tell folks (on dila-up) to have to do such a painful thing, which is why I'm waiting on DC to come back with a solution. But, yep, I'll modify the thread about ti to include this recommendation.

Elwin Way
07-08-2002, 12:23 PM
> I just don't like
> having to tell folks (on dila-up) to have to do such
> a painful thing,

It's not that bad.

Hang on - I'm gunna check which version of Java the latest Opera comes with..