PDA

View Full Version : CD-RW: Can't choose fastest speed

Matt_NZ
06-08-2002, 08:21 PM
Hi,
I've been having a problem with my burner lately. the problem being that I can't select 20x as the write speed anymore.

I have a Acer 20x10x40 CD-RW and used to be able to select 20x as a burn speed, but now ithe option has disapeared from both Nero and Windows XP's built in burner. Now the max I can select is 16x. I have trie reinstalling Nero and updating it to the latest version, but that doesn't help. Is there a way I can restore the 20x speed or will I be stuck with a 20x speed burner that can only burn at 16x max? Thanks for reading this :)

tweak\'e
06-08-2002, 08:37 PM
are you sure its not because you are useing 16x cd's?

-=JM=-
06-08-2002, 09:42 PM
Are these the same CDs that were burning at 20x before. Sometimes you just strike a bad batch of CDs.

Also some burners don't go well with some CDs.

Baldy
06-08-2002, 09:42 PM
Agree with tweak'e....... your CDWriter, will only write to the max speed of the discs

A Ferrari dipstick in a Mini, won't mean you get Ferrari performance LOL

BALDY :-)

Sorry, thats an old saying, but could'nt resist

Matt_NZ
06-08-2002, 11:30 PM
Yeah, you're right, it was the CD :). I had been trying with a 24X rated Transonic CD-R figuring that it would burn at 20X, heh guess not. Looks like my CD-RW prefers a "high standard" of CD-R's, heh.

Saw your post and it reminded me that I had an original Acer CD that came with the writer and recognized it properly.

Also, on the subject of CD's, are fast CD-RW rated disks a rarity in most non-computer shops? I can only find 4x max disks in the shops I've looked in (Whitocolls, Bond & Bond, Warehouse Stationary and the rest of the shops I could think of in the Chartwell area).

Thanks for the help!

Peter H
07-08-2002, 10:13 AM
Warehouse stationary - kilbirnie - have Melody 40x at $1.00 each. Work fine on my Aopen 40 12 48.
Bye Peter