PDA

View Full Version : UPDATE: Opera users: If PressF1 hangs the browser . . .

Biggles
06-08-2002, 04:55 PM
UPDATE:

The problem appears to be with the Java Runtime Environment 1.3.1. Installing the latest version, 1.4 fixes the problem. You can grab this from Sun's Java site:

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4/index.html
However the download is 8.5Mb.

Another alternative is to go to Preferences/Multimedia and make sure Java is unticked. This will fix the problem without effecting how PressF1 works at all.

The Problem is caused by the Java-based HP ad which is currently running, which is not compatible with Java Runtime 1.3.1.

For your info, the problem has been escalated up the tech support tree at DoubleClick. There does appear to be an issue with their system and how it is supposed to filter out ads based on the user's browser. In this case, if you have Opera as your browser AND you have it set to identify itself as Opera (the default is IE go to file/preferences/network to check what yours is set at) then you shouldn't see the ad. However, I've tested this and I still see the ad with Opera set as my indentification.

DoubleClick apaprently will be doing some fixes in the next release of their system. They will also be contacting Opera about the problem. Thank you all for your patience.

[Edited by: admin on Aug 7, 2002 11:45 AM]

-=JM=-
06-08-2002, 06:09 PM
Bruce a lot of people may have Opera set to appear as IE so that some sites don't reject the browser.

This may be why it is not working.

Chris Wilson
06-08-2002, 10:30 PM
ahhhhhh!!!
i identify opera as opera, so this might be why this ad aint getting me

something i noticed when installing opera on my linux machine, it is set to identify itself as IE5 by default must look great on web stats
OP=suse linux
browser=IE version5
i wonder if anyone would beleive that?

Elwin Way
07-08-2002, 12:15 AM
Wrong again.

My opera is set to identify as Opera. I get crashed.

Like I keep saying, it's to with Java.

And I bet ya another 10 fish it's to do with specifically 1.3.1 which ship as standard with opera (unless the 'download without java' option was taken)

Chris Wilson
07-08-2002, 12:22 AM
i wonder why you get the java/crash ad, and i dont??????

At a galnce down i see its cleaning time again... currently 4 pressf1 pages open.. all displaying .gif based adds

Biggles
07-08-2002, 12:47 AM
Agree with Elwin - the Java that ships standard with Opera is the most likely explanation. But asking folks to go and download 8Mb or so of run-time client isn't exactly a good solution . . .

Susan B
07-08-2002, 09:50 AM
> But asking folks to go and download 8Mb or so of run-time client
> isn't exactly a good solution . . .

There is nothing wrong with offering that as a possible solution. Some people might be quite happy to go and download 8Mb rather than disable their Java.

You still need to have a fix for those that don't wish to do the download but I do think it's a Good Idea to inform people of all their options.

NathanTheKind
07-08-2002, 10:20 AM
You could always put the file on next months pc word CD

Pauline
07-08-2002, 10:41 AM
Hi Elwin,
How many fish have you received? Is it the chocolate kind that you are betting on? I hope so otherwise I wouldn't want to be your Postie.
Pauline. :p

tweak\'e
07-08-2002, 11:33 AM
>You could always put the file on next months pc word CD

err...........it is. 6.04 is on the latest cd.

Biggles
07-08-2002, 11:48 AM
OK - just updated my Java runtime from 1.3.1 to 1.4 and it solved the problem. *.5Mb downlaod, however . . .

Elwin Way
07-08-2002, 12:36 PM
That's 20 fish you lot at PCWorld owe me.

Will take cash if it's more convenient :P

Elwin Way
07-08-2002, 12:43 PM
> Hi Elwin,
> How many fish have you received? Is it the chocolate
> kind that you are betting on? I hope so otherwise I
> wouldn't want to be your Postie.
> Pauline. :p

You wouldn't want to be my postie anyway - it's a long walk from Chch to Welly...

Um, if I rememebr rightly, Opera 6.04 still has Java 1.3.1 so will not solve the issue.

But the latest Java would go on the CD nicely :D

tweak\'e
07-08-2002, 12:45 PM
my error thx elwin. another download to do :(

Biggles
07-08-2002, 12:52 PM
see my edited original post at top with updated info ....

Elwin Way
07-08-2002, 01:14 PM
Thanks Bruce - I'll shuddup now.. at least until I get my fish... :D

mark c
08-08-2002, 03:01 PM
Thanks for the tip about Java in Opera. Turned it off and now don't have to see that bandwidth gobbling schematic mud pool or whatever it was. Too much flash-flash stuff on the internet and not enough basic good programming. Eg Kachingo - all style, no substance. No wonder they're going to can it.

Rod ger
14-08-2002, 09:55 PM
I've had a bit of a problem with Opera Java on internet banking (wrong dates) and so this thread seemed to provide the answer.

BUT on trying to download from the Sun site all I get is a lot of activity as the download progresses (it does not activate Stardownloader) and at the end of 40 mins NOTHING. No autoinstall,nothing in my temp file, or download file. 11.7MB gone up in electrons.

I've tried without my firewall and AV on, but it makes no difference.

Running Win98 original and Opera.
Any help appreciuated.

Graham L
15-08-2002, 06:08 PM
Peter: try a post in the main area with a subject like "Java/Opera/Sun download not working". That should attract someone who knows. ;-)