PDA

View Full Version : IE6 multiple windows/ win98

osmosis
06-08-2002, 03:32 PM
When browsing I often open a number of windows simultaneously, and I find it frustrating that as each window loads it becomes active. Annoying when I'm reading a page and the others keep popping up as they load. Is there an option I can tick or untick to keep all pages in the background until I am ready to see them?

Susan B
06-08-2002, 10:32 PM
It is annoying sometimes, I know. I've never been able to fix it and it appears that there is nothing you can do about it.

Once I've got a new window loading I usually just click on the current page's icon on the taskbar and that brings it back again for me to continue reading.

Only trouble is, when I've cookies set to Prompt the window that's loading keeps popping up to ask me to accept the cookie and on some pages that can be every second for an endless number of times. Grrrrrrrr! :-(

Baldy
06-08-2002, 10:38 PM
IE6 is a pain in the butt.

I have IE5.5 and have never noticed this phenominminim LOL..... I usually have heaps of windows open until my puter starts groaning - but they never start popping open

godfather
06-08-2002, 10:43 PM
unless the site is written as a "pop under" I dont think the browser can influence it, however if a site can do it, a browser "could" theoretically be capable

Susan B
06-08-2002, 10:45 PM
Hey Baldy, I'm using IE 5.5 too and it does it with me.

If you Shift-Click on a link to open a new window it becomes the active window and if you open up several at a time each new window becomes the active one and you lose the original page you were first viewing.

They aren't popping up randomly - except when the cookies are trying to get your attention, that is.

Susan B
06-08-2002, 10:50 PM
godfather:

"Copycat....

Elwin Way
06-08-2002, 11:58 PM
Opera does exactly what you're asking.

In Opera, hold ctrl-shift while you click on a link and it opens a new window under the current one. Or if you are one handed - hold a right click and drag down then up then let go of the right mouse button. Doesn't take much practise either! :D

-=JM=-
07-08-2002, 12:25 AM
Or with CrazyBrowser or Mozilla you just need to middleclick.