PDA

View Full Version : Windows 98 Shutdown Problem

Darcy
06-08-2002, 02:36 PM
Hi Guy's,

I know i've seen this on here before, but can't seem to track it down again!

I am having problems with a Win 98 system, when i shut down it comes up with the "It is now safe to shutdown" screen but the power off button does not respong, i'm sure it's not the actual button on the machine.

Is there a fix or patch out there anyone knows of??

Much appreciated.

Darcy.

NathanTheKind
06-08-2002, 02:50 PM
When you say the power button isn't responding what do you mean. When you press it the computer doesn't turn off or what? How long has this been happening?

Darcy
06-08-2002, 03:05 PM
When I press the power button, after the "It is now safe to turn off your computer" message displays it does not turn off.

However if i use the button on the back of the machine to turn it off, then turn on again, i can then use the button on the front to turn the machine back on.

I have just installed IE 5.5 if that may have something to do with it??

Cheers

NathanTheKind
06-08-2002, 03:36 PM
Does your computer have the ability to turn itself off. If it does you could try reinstalling Windows. I did this recently and Now my PC turns it self off.

:)

Darcy
06-08-2002, 03:39 PM
Thanks, will try...

John Boy
06-08-2002, 09:59 PM
I also have the same problem as previously described. The suggestion of reinstalling win 98 would this be a case of going over the top of the original installation or has it got to be a new install. Being somewhat illiterate to installing win from scratch I would appreciate some guidance please.

Babe Ruth
06-08-2002, 10:42 PM
Darcy, JohnBoy,

There are a number of posts on this forum describing problems with Win9x shutdown. try doing a search using Windows 98 Shutdown Problem or similar. You will find a number of site pointers to help out there. Also there are at least two Win 9x Shutdown Patches available on Windows Update.

Cheers, babe.

NathanTheKind
06-08-2002, 11:41 PM
I simply went over top of my old version as I didn't want to loss all my data. So yes I mean to just go over the original :)

Darcy
06-08-2002, 11:48 PM
Tried Re-Installing Win 98 over the top...didn't make any difference!
Much to my dismay!

Downloaded a fix from MS, however was for Win98SE, not the original 98 vers.

Anymore idea's...anyone!?

Ta ?:|

Babe Ruth
07-08-2002, 12:44 AM
Darcy,

Heres some information from Computer_Advisor (http://comp-adviser.com/hotfix.htm):

Fixes for Windows Shutdown Problems

Hot Fixes has already covered startup problems so now it's time to talk about the other end of the process: shut down. To be specific, what to do when you can't shut down.

Windows 98 Second Edition

To use a bit of understatement, "Many Win98 SE users have had problems shutting down their systems." Microsoft has issued a shutdown supplement intended to address some of these problems. This patch has been updated multiple times, most recently on November 1. If you tried the patch earlier and it didn't work, give it another try. WinMag.com's Win98 Insider newsletter covered issues related to this patch in the 9-22-99, 10-06-99, and 10-21-99 issues.

If the Shutdown Supplement doesn't work, another possibility is that your system BIOS needs an update. Check the web site for the vendor of your system or motherboard to see if they've issued a BIOS update to address SE issues. One example documented by Microsoft is Q231742 -Shutdown Hangs on Intel AL440LX Motherboard with Phoenix BIOS Version P07 (http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q231/7/42.ASP). Because a botched BIOS update can render your system unbootable, it's best to apply a BIOS update only if its documentation specifically mentions a fix for Win98 SE.

For step-by-step help figuring out why SE won't shut down, see Microsoft's article Q238096 - How to Troubleshoot Windows 98 Second Edition Shutdown Problems (http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q238/0/96.ASP).

Another Shutdown Solution

Hot Fixes reader Carey Holzman says this fix has worked for him with Windows 98SE on many AMD K6 systems: In your PC's BIOS setup, find the setting for "Video Off Method" and change it from "DPMS" to "V/H Sync+Blank" or any setting other than DPMS. See if that allows you to shut down properly.

Not So Fast - Windows 98

If you have the original Windows 98 (not SE), see if you can get the system to shut down properly by disabling the Fast Shutdown option. To do this click Start | Run and type MSConfig. On MSConfig's General tab, click the Advanced button. Find the Disable Fast Shutdown option and check its box, then click OK.

++++++++++++

Cheers, Babe.

Darcy
07-08-2002, 01:53 AM
Thank's for that Babe, will try the last option as am not running SE.
Much appreciated.

Darcy.