PDA

View Full Version : restore cd

ahoundau
06-08-2002, 01:41 PM
when i pruchased my toshiba laptop some years ago, it came with one of those "freindly" total restore cds. as a happy patitioner, is there any way i can "exctract " the windows install from the cd with out having to go through the format and reload senario??

on my partitioned drive i would like to reload the O/s without losing all the partitions etc???

Graham L
06-08-2002, 04:15 PM
Have a look for hidden directories on the CD. You might have one which holds all the Windows installation .CAB files, and setup.exe etc. If so, copy the whole directory to your HD, and try "setup". At worst it won;t work. ;-) Any partitioning it might try gives you the chance to say "NO", doesn't it?

Elwin Way
06-08-2002, 04:41 PM
The CD shouldn't delete partitions. However, if you have the option - go for quick format.

The CD should only do it's thing on C: drive.

ahoundau
07-08-2002, 12:55 PM
when i run the restore cd, the first thing it dose is formats the entire drive, installs os to C: then adds all toshiba software at which time i do the secondary partitioning ..... so there lies the problem, i often wish to clean out all the crap in c: andfind the easest way is to refomat, - but am left with losing all my partitions when reloading the os......

should i be able to explore the restore cd, and can copy the os files across, can somebody tell me exactly what i should be coping - setup, and cabs....?

cheers ahoundsu

godfather
07-08-2002, 01:08 PM
A "Format" shouldnt remove partitions.
Fdisk will, but formatting only works on the partition its formatting - at least here it does...

Elwin Way
07-08-2002, 01:11 PM
You might be better of sourcing a genuine (sic) Windows CD instead.

Generally, OEM CD's are a sort of copy of a hard drive install and most often the copy is kept in one big file on the CD.

Elwin Way
07-08-2002, 01:18 PM
I know some older HP restore CDs do an FDisk first ...

Graham L
07-08-2002, 02:54 PM
My suggestiopn is that if you find a (probably hidden) directory which contains a "lot" of .CAB files, and a file called "setup.exe", it will [i] probably [/b] be a fairly standrad MS installation set. I would copy the whole of that directory to a directory on your HD (call it "WINSTALL" or something).

The problems with the OEM disk are probably to do with things that are done at the top level directory of the CD. If you can avoid having anything to do with the CD after the files have been copied you will be safe. If you put the files on the C: partition, and (DOS) boot the HD, it CAN'T repartition or format the C: partition. All it can do is a Windows "reinstall", keeping the existing applications etc.