PDA

View Full Version : disconnection from jet start

johng
06-08-2002, 09:12 AM
I have been connected to jet start for 2 weeks using a Nokia NI 200 internal modem on a P4 win 98 system. My problem is I lose my connection to xtra every hour or so whether using the internet or not. I have had numerous sessions with the help desks at both xtra and Telecom dsl and even had a tech out to check my line reception etc. It seems the dsl side of things is OK but I somehow disconnect from my isp.
The xtra help desk has been tho the IE6 browser settings and all seems OK. Without the option to try another modem I,ve got no more ideas. Contacting Nokia on the 0800 number only gets me referred to an 0900 3rd party support. Any help would be much appreciated.
John G

robo
06-08-2002, 09:48 AM
This sounds very strange. I assume that you are using the dial up networking method for connection (I have an ADSL router that does it all itself).
If that is the case, I suppose there could be some disconnect when inactive, but no idea where to look.
Two key questions for you:
- is it EXACTLY one hour? Or roughly?
- is it EVERY hour?
- is the link busy when it disconnects or idle?
(okay, three questions)
If it isn't exactly on the hour, then it could be the teenager using the phone in the other room without a filter or something like that.
If it is busy and it disconnects, it isn't some sort of timeout.
Post your answers and let's take it from there.

Greg S
06-08-2002, 01:08 PM
Hi. You could try the adsl mailing list:
http://www.unixathome.org/adsl/

nzStan
06-08-2002, 01:08 PM
I'm using a Ni200 modem card too and for several months had a similar problem of disconnecting whenever someone rings my home. I called telecom and they adjusted some settings on their DSLAM card and I've been running fine ever since.