PDA

View Full Version : internet options won't work

jimmy
05-08-2002, 10:16 PM
Hi, when i have opened internet explorer and go to the tools button on the top toolbar, click on this to open then click on internet options, it will not open, i get this message "this operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computor.please contact you systems administrator".
I don't know how this came about but its been like this for a long time. If any one knows the setting needed to repair this would be much appreciated. i'm running win98
cheers

godfather
05-08-2002, 10:36 PM
This behavior can occur if the Inetcpl.cpl file is missing from the Windows \System or %SystemRoot%\System32 folder or if a restriction is set on the NoBrowserOptions Windows registry value.

To fix this extract a new copy of the Inetcpl.cpl file from the Internet Explorer distribution files, or reinstall Internet Explorer.

If replacing the Inetcpl.cpl file does not resolve the problem, open regedit (start, run, type regedit)and then locate the following key:
hkey_current_user / software / policies / microsoft / internet explorer / restrictions
If a value called NoBrowserOptions exists, delete this value and restart the machine.

be careful in the registry, back it up first just in case

jimmy
05-08-2002, 11:34 PM
Internet options is now functional thanks to godfather i opted for your second solution and deleted no browser option!

How on earth would this have been changed or activated as i never play around with "Run" because this is out of my depth.

Thanks alot.

godfather
05-08-2002, 11:39 PM
some nasty sites reprogram your home page and disable the option....