PDA

View Full Version : Back up copies and translating foreign language

J ZEP
05-08-2002, 05:05 PM
Hi all, Was wondering if anybody had some imfo/advice for me on making back up copies of games - ( i know we don't talk about this on here! - but they are rather general queries). Scenario is I am not a game person myself, but my partner is - Anyway a friends child destroyed a game c.d the other day (and games aren't cheap these days) and that did not go down well with my partner. I have not gotten into the area of doing backups of games even tho we have had the writer for about 9 months, because i didn't think it would be possible with the copyright to do it - (so having that one destroyed made me think we should have a backup of games if possible & research it). So while F1 was down i did some research into it and apparently we are legally allowed to do one backup copy of games we own, I also remember reading that on here too, then got some more imfo when i did a search of F1 when it was back on. So i have worked through it, but a problem i have run into is that alot of the sites i was directed to were in German, with no translation of them like some sites have, and some were sites i was supposed to download from (which i am a bit hesitant to do anyway), but i can't read them to see if they are compatible with my puter, or anything else for that matter. Anyway the questions i have are: Is there any kind of tool i can get to read the german language? And also, if a game has always had a glitch since we brought it, could that be causing a problem with copying it? e.g on the first startup it kind of clicks onto internet connection (but it just has that as the header and an empty box) and sits on that with nothing being possible to do for about 1 minute then just carries on loading and is back to totally playable not a problem - so i don't know if the reason its not copying is the glitch or the copyright? So are there any game buffs out there who have any knowledge of the language thing or if its likely that because of the glitch i can't copy this game and not the copyright? And of course the backups will be purely for personal use in case any more get destroyed!! TIA

parry
05-08-2002, 06:57 PM
I don't think you will get many replies on how to do backups. For a language translator try Google (see the language tools link just to the right of the search box).

If the game is defective then return it to where you bought it, just like a bum toaster or anything else. If your having problems with installation then see their site and download a patch is normally the best option ;-)

Peter H
05-08-2002, 07:27 PM
For Backups, use Clonecd.
Bye
Peter

Heather P
05-08-2002, 07:53 PM
As for the damaged disk. Can you take it back to where you got it from and ask them to swap it for a good one?

Take in disk, manual, packaging, receipt (if you still have them) and grovel nicely. It might work.

Husband used to work in the lab in a paint factory. 9 out of 10 "faults" were replaced - even if the purchaser had thinned water based paints with turps. The one that wasn't was when it was clearly the customer's fault and they turned up with an "attitude".

J ZEP
06-08-2002, 10:33 AM
Thankyou all for your replies most appreciated -
Parry, that was just what i needed for translating thanks (google),duh silly me should have thought of that!
Peter, yep have used clone cd, thanks
Heather, yes he should have taken the game back when he first got it, but he just got used to the glitch, as i said its not really a major prob. and now its been far to long since he brought it! I am sure there is actually a patch for it to rid it of this prob. but i just haven't got round to downloading it for him. But i was just mainly curious as to peoples opinions on weather that glitch could cause a problem with copying it or not.
Anyway when i went back to the site yesterday it had changed and had english sites linked, apparently the site had had problems and thats why it was going to the german one! So i didn't need to use the translator after all!! But its handy to know about the translator in google for future reference, so that was most helpful - Thanks again all :-)

Lohsing
06-08-2002, 11:01 AM
For translating, try "Babelfish" on the altavista website.

For game backups, do a bit of reading on "gamecopyworld.com" ... it's not a case of using JUST clonecd anymore... u need to understand all the different types of copy protections used... You'll most likely need a program like "Clony XXL"

Anyway... just my 2c worth!

Lo.

J ZEP
06-08-2002, 08:19 PM
> For translating, try "Babelfish" on the altavista
> website.
>
> For game backups, do a bit of reading on
> "gamecopyworld.com" ... it's not a case of using JUST
> clonecd anymore... u need to understand all the
> different types of copy protections used... You'll
> most likely need a program like "Clony XXL"

Thanks Lo - thats where i have been doing most of my reasearch, its a good site for that and yes i have been using Clonyxxl - and like you say it isn't a case of just use Clonecd,(actually i have been finding that Nero is better in some cases) then there is still more to it eh, But anyway i have got that side of things sorted and am able to make backups, main reason for posting was that i had probs with one game in paticular, seems to be more than the protection i think it must be a glitch. Will check out Babelfish for translating - Thanks for your help :-) Cheers

Sam H
06-08-2002, 08:37 PM
Hi J Zep,
I for one am all for making backups of games, I would hate to break or scratch a game of mine beyond repair.

Check out this site and you should find some good info
Game Copy World (http://www.gamecopyworld.com/)
Game Copy world will tell you what protection games have, and there are also good articles on burners and the art of making backups.

Basically I like to use clonecd for all my backups, I find it very good and worth getting. Since my burner is compatible with RAW DAO data and RAW SAO data all I do to copy a game is read it to an image at 4x and then burn it at full speed.

Also check out File Forums (http://www.fileforums.com/) - This is a good forum for specific questions you have.

Hope This Helps

Regards
Sam

-=JM=-
06-08-2002, 08:51 PM
As far as I'm aware in NZ you are not allowed to back up any software.

Unless it's something that is free.

Lohsing
06-08-2002, 08:56 PM
That's true, but we're only talking about where you can get information on backing-up games, not really discussing the legality of it.

Sam H
06-08-2002, 09:02 PM
> As far as I'm aware in NZ you are not allowed to back
> up any software.
>
> Unless it's something that is free.

Yeah but how many people actually take notice of that? not a lot.

honeylaser
07-08-2002, 08:57 AM
Its more important that you don't sell copies.

Susan B
07-08-2002, 09:29 AM
> Its more important that you don't sell copies.

Or give them away.

Lohsing
07-08-2002, 09:39 AM
> > Its more important that you don't sell
> copies.
>
> Or give them away.
>

Or sell the original and keep the copy.