PDA

View Full Version : USB CD RW Wanted. Anyone know of a good USB CD RW?

PressF1 User
04-08-2002, 05:18 PM
Hi all.

Anyone know of a good quality USB CD RW that I can purchase for my laptop? (I'm running XP Professional) I Went to Dick Smith here in ChCh but they wern't able to help as the only model they stock, an Imation 8x8x24 USB External CD Writer, is not XP compatible and no drivers available either. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance :-)

-=JM=-
04-08-2002, 07:49 PM
If I remember correctly there are some reviewed in thelatest PC WOrld.

honeylaser
05-08-2002, 10:15 AM
In an XP compatible ext. there is a Sony CRX85UA2, RRP $888 + GST. Its a DVD player as well, and 20x8x8x24 speed.

It's got a USB2 interface.. does that matter? Or are you specifically looking for a USB1?

On the lower end of the scale, there is a Sony USB2 CD-RW only (24x10x40) at around $650 + GST.

I can check with my supplier if you're interested.. and see if they have anything else?

PressF1 User
05-08-2002, 01:15 PM
Hello Honeylaser.

USB 2 is ok as I can get a pcmcia card to accomodate this. The DVD option is a little too expensive for me a present so CD RW would be the go I think. It would be running on a Compaq Amada E500 (450 MHz 128 RAM) computer under Window XP Pro. Thanks.

PressF1 User
05-08-2002, 01:17 PM
Sorry, forgot to mention that 'yes' it would be good if you could check for other options as well. Cheers :-)

honeylaser
05-08-2002, 02:01 PM
Not a problem.. I'll check with them for you :) What kind of money are you looking at paying? i.e whats a reasonable amount, and whats top $ for something fantastic that does your dishes and sings you to sleep as well..?

honeylaser
05-08-2002, 02:14 PM
OK, your options are:

AOpen USB 2.0 External CD-RW 40 write x 12 re-write x 48
$445 + GST

Iomega CDRW 24 x 10 x 40 External USB 1.1 & 2.0 with USB 2.0 PCI card
$430 + GST

Iomega Predator CDR/W 24x10x40 External Drive USB 1.1 & 2.0 with PCI USB 2.0 Card
$520 + GST

Let me know if you want one, and I'll see what I can do :D

PressF1 User
05-08-2002, 03:48 PM
Thanks for the information honeylaser.

When you say that it comes with a PCI card, do you mean it is supplied with a PCMICA Card? Example: USB 2.0 Card-Bus PCMCIA Adapter for a laptop.

Thanks Honeylaser :-)

vanman
05-08-2002, 04:03 PM
I recently bought an iomega 24by10by40 USB2 burner. (sometimes called a Zip-cd)

I got it for around $420 incl gst, but had to shop around and find a place that didnt stick too big a margin on the wholesale price.

It came with a free USB2 PCI card for a desktop, but a USB2 pcmcia card for my laptop set me back just over $100. (but is really quick)

The burner itself is quite bulky, as it is an internal drive in a case. If size/weight is an issue, you may need something like the predator.

The hotburn software that comes bundled is great, and I am yet to create a dud CD-R.

Just thought that some feedback on the models suggested might be appreciated.

honeylaser
05-08-2002, 04:44 PM
> It came with a free USB2 PCI card for a desktop, but
> a USB2 pcmcia card for my laptop set me back just
> over $100. (but is really quick)

the same thing vanman mentions. its not a pcmcia card, but allows you to run a USB2 appliance off your laptop..

I'm neg. on prices, by the way. If you're after something, I can generally barter my way down a bit further :D

PressF1 User
05-08-2002, 05:29 PM
Hello Honeylaser and thanks Vanman.

Again, thanks for the help. Sorry for my ignorance but how can the PCI be connected to a laptop to run the USB2 card?

Basically I'm looking at around $450 - $500 max (GST inc) for a USB CD RW drive that must clearly state it is XP compatible. Must be fast as possible but good quality too with good software. (including the buffer under-run-stopper-thingy :-) )

Not exactly sure which is the best out of the ones you mention, what do you reckon? Bartering sounds good to me. BTW, if it does the dishes I'm sold!!

vanman
05-08-2002, 05:44 PM
You cant use the free pci card to connect the burner to your laptop, its a card for a desktop pc.

You can connect the burner to your USB 1 port, but you only get a max speed of 4x.

Otherwise you need a laptop that has cardbus compatible pcmcia slots (all newer (last few years) laptops do, if you have got an old laptop you will need to check the specs) Then buy a seperate USB2 pcmcia card.

As I said, the cards are around $100 and either have 1 or 2 ports.

As for the prices, no offense intended Honeylaser, its just that I saw the same burner as mine, ON SPECIAL!! in a department store for $200 more than I paid. :0

honeylaser
06-08-2002, 10:05 AM
> the same thing vanman mentions. its not
> a pcmcia card, but allows you to run a USB2
> appliance off your laptop..

that was meant to say desktop. I'm an idiot.

> As for the prices, no offense intended Honeylaser,
> its just that I saw the same burner as mine, ON
> SPECIAL!! in a department store for $200 more
> than I paid. :0

Like I said, I'm negotiable. I'm only working off my suppliers suggested retail prices. If you have a problem with bartering, buy from the department store..

pentzol
06-08-2002, 04:23 PM
I bought an external USB case($199 at DSE) and placed my IDE 8x4x36 CD-RW in it. It worked fine when using the CD software(Direct CD) that allows you to use the CD-RW as a floppy disk. I had problems when copying CD's one on one or using Adaptec 4 to create data CD's.
I then upgraded the drive to a Samsung 32x10x40 ($160 at Eden computers) so far no problems. Creating VCD's and copy disks without any hassles. This drive came with Nero and has buffer underrun protection. I have plugged it into XP, Win95,98,Me and NT and Linux systems without any hassles. The USB external case comes with the required drivers for USB if any required.