PDA

View Full Version : real player (ewwww.....)

tweak\'e
03-08-2002, 08:18 PM
unfortunatly i need to use realplayer for some of my fav video's. so i've tried real ONE player, which works great but how the @#$% do i get it from reinserting the command into startup? bloody invasive pos program. i got it to not play cd's and got the cd icon back to normal, now only if i can get it to not have part of it running all the time.

parry
03-08-2002, 08:30 PM
Hi, not sure I completely understand. Has RP changed the associations so it now is the default for wav files etc?

I have RPG2 so i suppose the settings are the same ...
Option|Preferences|Upgrade|Settings - uncheck file types you dont want associated.

tweak\'e
03-08-2002, 09:00 PM
yes it was asociated with waves(cd's) but even useing RP's optoins didn't fix that. i had to do it manually. biggest thing is stopping it running at startup, and yes i have removed it from startup but every time you use RP it puts it back in......grrrrr X-(

parry
03-08-2002, 09:25 PM
Yup it's a **** when programs do that. All these poor insecure prorammers who think you cant live without their program being in RAM whether you want to use it or not.

It's because its starting up through the registry no doubt. Easiest way to kill it is via Msconfig .....
Select Start|Run and type msconfig & press OK. Look in the Startup tab then uncheck the offfending realplayer checkbox.

tweak\'e
03-08-2002, 09:37 PM
please reread post

>yes i have removed it from startup but every time you use RP it puts it back in......grrrrr

parry
03-08-2002, 09:44 PM
Yes I read your post. There is a thing called a startup folder which is what I thought you meant (& maybe what you still think). You just said Startup.

Programs can start from ....
Autoexec.bat
Startup Folder
System.ini
Win.ini
Registry - run,runonce,runservices,runservicesonce folders et al.

Msconfig enables you to access all these in one place. If it's not in that particular tab, then look in the System.ini and Win.ini tabs for a load= or run= line.

If the program then puts it back in after deleting from all these places then I dont know the answer. Its a search on the Realplayer site 4 u I suppose :-)

tweak\'e
03-08-2002, 09:58 PM
yes sorry i was a little vague "it was late, i was tired" ;-)

parry
03-08-2002, 10:09 PM
No worries. So the bloody thing puts it back? Weird. Has to be a option in the prog you would think as it's obviously looking to see if a certain registry key exist when it runs then bloody puts it back in the reg run folder if you deleted it. Im sure these guys could make wicked viruses as well ;-)

Sorry cant help. If it was doing that to me it would get the big red card and uninstall time. It's a pants proggy anyway, I just keep installed to run ram files to hear soundclips from CDnow etc.

Good luck :-)

Terry Porritt
03-08-2002, 10:10 PM
Real Player has got more and more intrusive with time. That's why I havent upgraded from RP Basic 8. I didnt like the the sound and hype of the next version. In Basic 8 under View-Preferences as well as disabling everything I could find, I also disabled the Start Centre. That prevents the icon appearing in the system tray ( I think).

I have it more or less manageable now just starting up when I tell it to.

tweak\'e
03-08-2002, 10:40 PM
well i've got a temp fix working. i deleted the update folder. i might go back to an earlier ver. or just disable realplayer altogether and use another player (need to have realplayer installed for the codec)

Baldy
03-08-2002, 10:56 PM
I deleted RealOne for the exact same reasons. I got really miffed with it always fighting to "be on top"

bmason
03-08-2002, 11:35 PM
Try http://www.oldversion.com/ , you probably won't need the latest version.

dipstick01
04-08-2002, 12:19 AM
I've got realone player for streaming etc on sites that only support real players and I am operating on a vauge memory here but if I remember correctly during the install I chose the custom install and watched carefully for those sneaky little boxes labelled enable quick start or something like that.
Now my realone player doesnt even appear in the msconfig startup and only appears when I want it to. I also went through and changed the media settings so real player is only associated with real player files. I've had a browse through the preferences and cant find anywhere to disable the startup but if I find it I'll give a yell.

parry
04-08-2002, 12:21 AM
Save pissing around I can give u a ripped version, I mean time trial, of G2 if u want. Just email me ;-)