PDA

View Full Version : Opera problem or Not??

merlin-nz
03-08-2002, 06:37 PM
Hi people great to be back and up and running, two wee or not too wee problems, see what you make of it.

Every now and then when I start the computer, before I start any other accessory I check my e-mails.
Normaly Eudora starts ok but every now and then the dail tone just screams for the appropriate time (a few seconds) then states there was/is no dail tone and shuts off.

Wait a few seconds/minutes and try again, but same thing.
Sometimes have to Ctrl+Alt+Del because the system seems to freeze, but that does no good.
So shut the computer down (not Restart, switch off at wall) and reboot again, usually this cures the problem.

Have been using Eudora for a month now but this happened with outlook express before I switched.

It also happens with Opera but then again this also happened with Internet Explorer also.

Problem #2.
The following has started to appear, after I had been reading a thread on PressF1, which is usually a longish one and when I clicked on the "Post new Topic" when finished reading, click on the browsers "Back" button the following message appears:

"Opera has caused an error in AWT.DLL
Opera will now close
If you continue to experience problems,
try restarting your computer."

Now before that message has finished loading on the screen, the following appears underneath the AWT.DLL message,

"Opera Java
java VM has aborted
java is disabled for the rest of this session."

So I click on the close button in the AWT.DLL message and both messages dissappear and the Opera closes.

It's not happening a lot it has just started on Saturday morning (3/8/2002).
just a couple of times in about half an hour, only happened in PressF1 but thats not to say it won't happen else where.
Anyone got any ideas, much apprecated.

Win ME, Oprea 6.04, Eudora 5.1,

Cheers merlin-nz ;)

godfather
03-08-2002, 06:51 PM
Longshot but...
AWT.dll is tied up with Java
The applets involved with the PressF1 HP ad in the banner are sometimes taking ages to load or not loading.
Your browser is trying to load these when you change its mind for it, send it back and it gets confused. Hence an error.

Program bug, nothing you can do in that case.

Any comments by Java experts??

Re the modem, bet its an internal soft modem?

If so, no comment needed!

merlin-nz
03-08-2002, 08:48 PM
Godfather,

Thanks for the reply, What would you suggest on the modem front, (new internal or new external) and if yes, what would ya suggest.

cheers merlin-nz ;)

godfather
03-08-2002, 08:59 PM
Well, I am a fan of external Serial Hardware modems, (not USB, they are a variety of what you have now)

Susan B got a good deal on a dynalink recently. They are affordable and good quality. d-link also make them, I had a good run from theirs also.
Interesting to see the dynalink ad states clearly "hardware modem" -good to see they remove all doubt.

Reasons I like external are:
Less problems when operating systems change, easy to control (you can easily turn them off without upsetting the PC), you can observe dataflow and activity from on board indicators, they are relatively unaffected by changes to hardware/software.

Which makes them quite reliable. Also its very hard to buy a hardware internal modem.

Of course there are a huge number of softmodem users that have no trouble whatever (before I am flamed for these comments)

Also they tie up a serial port, but these are often unused now anyway.

Not sure what suppliers are in Hobbitville, but ChCh price was under $140 I think.

Remember to physically remove the soft modem when you change though.

merlin-nz
03-08-2002, 09:10 PM
Thanks godfather,

This modem came with the PC so betting its not that flash anyway.
HP Pavilion 6700 model, probaly means squat.
I'll have a word in Elwins ear tomorrow, hes comming to (Hobbitville).

cheers merlin-nz ;)

godfather
03-08-2002, 09:45 PM
The 6700 is a 600 MHz celeron running ME
15 Gb Quantum HDD, Congac BIOS.
Intel 810 chipset.
Modem is Connexant chipset softmodem "Aztech" make. Were always buggy in that model, intermittently in my experience.
Good little PC though, emphasis on "little" as they are tiny. Very quiet.

I can confirm that they run an external modem just fine, only one serial port available on that model. They run much better on XP by the way! (but the internal modem doesnt)

Pauline
03-08-2002, 09:51 PM
I'm having this problem too. Only over the last two to three days. I have ME Opera 6.2 but not Eudora. I am currently using IE as at this time it is more reliable but Oh so slow.
Pauline.

Elwin Way
04-08-2002, 09:41 PM
Merlin, go for the external hardware, and try and get one with Linux drivers. Will solve the problems I was talking to you about.