PDA

View Full Version : Defrag problem 2

Kiwitas
01-08-2002, 09:25 PM
In varying shades of pink,pinker,red,redder,scarlet&deeper scarlet!
These are all the colours I turned today as my Guru defragged my hard-drive this morning.Took 2 minutes to get to the "34%"mark,( that even I could do,) but another 2 HOURS to get to the end!!

So for all those kind people that posted what they hoped might fix it,thankyou.

The answer in the end was "PATIENCE",obviously something that I was short of!

Cheers,from a very embarressed Kiwitas,:-0

robo
01-08-2002, 09:57 PM
It took 2 hours?
Was it incredibly fragmented?
Did guru say why?
robo

tweak\'e
01-08-2002, 10:45 PM
could just be old slow hardrive. my old 4gig used to take a few hours. however i would double check things like DMA is enabled for the hardrive , assuming its an ata33 or better.

bmason
01-08-2002, 11:09 PM
Before I descovered the windows ME defragger my 8gb drive would take 4 - 6 hours for an average defrag.

It seems to like moving large files (eg quake 3 .PK3 files) small distances.

Kiwitas
02-08-2002, 12:01 AM
Hi Robo,

The defrag was apparently moving my 660 MP3's(guess about 2Gig) to the right place?Have spent afternoon burning them to data CD's and deleting them from HDD!

Defrag up until this time usually only took 30-40 mins and is done religously same time week using the ME defragger!

Cheers,Kiwitas<;-)

Susan B
02-08-2002, 09:50 AM
LOL how embarrassing for you! :8}

Got to give you credit for having the guts to confess on here what the problem was Kiwitas.

Maybe you could put a note in the Defrag FAQ (http://pressf1.co.nz/thread.jsp?forum=1&thread=21514) as a warning to other people who may get the same problem? Actually that FAQ needs rewriting to get rid of all the comments and what you add can be written in to the final version (with credit to you, of course). :-)