PDA

View Full Version : Which Word version for XP?

denise
01-08-2002, 01:54 PM
Are all Word applications compatible with XP as it seems I will have to buy one from Trademe or the like.? Thanks

godfather
01-08-2002, 02:07 PM
Word XP format (default) is same as Word 97, 2000, XP.

However it is possible to alter the default to make it difficult to read Word XP in 97 but it would be a deliberate choice by the writer.

Word 95 default will be unlikely to read later versions default.

Cheapest option would be Word 97, as it never used "activation" to install. Word 2000 and XP have to be "activated" after install either over the web or by phone by Microsoft, and you have no way of knowing if the software will be re-activated. If not activated they stop working.

You do realise there is a free Word 97 viewer program put out by Microsoft, only allows you to view, not edit a Word default format document? Look on Google for it.

Mike
01-08-2002, 08:16 PM
GF, I think she was asking whether all Word versions will run on Windows XP, not if she can open old Word docos in Word XP.

As far as I'm aware all Word versions should run in Windows XP, but personally I'd recommend either Word 2000 or Word XP for greatest compatibility.

Mike.

godfather
01-08-2002, 08:40 PM
Ahh yes. Got confused as many previous posting by her were asking about being able to open some word documents and what packages would read them.

Buying second hand I wouldnt shun Office 97 though given the activation risks with a second hand copy of 2000 or XP?

Office 97 has good functionality.

And yes, I have run Office97, Office2000 and OfficeXP on XP