PDA

View Full Version : stop - start, but mainly stop!

jayal
01-08-2002, 12:46 PM
windows 98
intel 82443LX/EX pentium 11
64mg ram

for no good reason (to my illogical mind) the system is running really well and then freezes - sometimes it continues but soooo slowly - usually it just stops completely necessitating a startup - sometimes it recognises a soft boot but often have to shut down completely, wait a minute then restart - have defragged, cleaned disk, downloaded and run RegClean and got rid of the most recent downloads - before i reformat can someone (Godfather?)save me?

also - why do i get the "press F1" option at startup?

tweak\'e
01-08-2002, 01:20 PM
when you get the prees f1 optoin, what esle does it say?

godfather
01-08-2002, 02:01 PM
or in English, When you get the "Press F1" option, what else does it say on the screen (sorry tweak'e, couldnt help it)

DeeDee
01-08-2002, 02:14 PM
Maybe you install PC World CD so that you have a BIOS short cut to Press F1 forum now?

tweak\'e
01-08-2002, 02:26 PM
thx godfather....finger trouble today,,,,,blame it on the darn flue ;-)

roofus
01-08-2002, 03:39 PM
A couple possible reasons could be
1. Your computer is running on 64meg of ram, after opening and closing a couple of applications the space of that is severly diminised. This means the OS will use the hard disk swap file as it's cache. This can slow up performance quite a bit, especially when you have an older type of harddrive or m/board, and so the transfer rates are relatively low. You will notice the slow down and if you have a look at your hard drive light you will see it constantly on. THis is also cause win98se is also changing the size of that swap file constantly to (theoretically minimise hard disk space and run the OS efficient) but it doesn't always work.

Solution: more ram, or set the size of your hard disk cache (virtual memory) around 200meg should do the trick.

2. The other possibility is that your hard disk cache (virtual memmory) is actually located on a part of the disk that has bad sectors, in this case the hard drive will be constantly trying to write/read to these sectors but that is not possible.
Solution : Run a thorough scandisk

as for your pressf1 problem, either goto "startup" in the start menu and remove the annoyance or goto "run" and type "msconfig" then u will know what to do from there.

Graham L
01-08-2002, 05:58 PM
The "press F!" will be part of a BIOS POST error message. What is the rest of the message? It will end "... press F1 to continue". I don't think Award have heard of us ... so don't be paranoid, chaps. :D

jayal
01-08-2002, 06:39 PM
to tweak'e and/or godfather
Press F1 to continue, Del to enter SETUP
line above it - Floppy disk(s) fail (40)

tweak\'e
01-08-2002, 10:38 PM
has anyone been inside the pc? if so mayby the floppy leads are loose or at worse a faulty floopy drive. tho it may pay to check in the bios (press del) that the floppy is setup correctly.