PDA

View Full Version : Clock speed

tangles
31-07-2002, 08:15 PM
Hi,
I downloaded the Dimension 4 clock updating program from last months magazine, and its working really well, but it has shown up that my computor clock gains about 5 seconds per day. This is OK I guess, but is there any way that I can adjust my clock so that it runs closer to the correct speed. For instance my less than $50 wrist watch only gains about 10 seconds per month, so I would have thought a $2K computor could do better than it is. I run Windows 98 on a HP 4403 Pavillion.

Terry Porritt
31-07-2002, 08:38 PM
There are numerous free/shareware clock synchronisation programs around that will adjust your computer clock to one of the standards laboratories clocks around the world.

The one I use is Dimension4, freeware, and it corrects for ping time to the site. I use one of the CSIRO sites in Australia.

You can get it from:
http://www.thinkman.com/dimension4/index.html

Terry Porritt
31-07-2002, 08:41 PM
Didnt read your post correctly, you should be able to chose where the clock site is, the nearest the better. The average accuracy should be within 50milisecs after correcting for ping, you wont get better than that.
Maybe re-set daily.

godfather
31-07-2002, 08:41 PM
welcome to the world of crystals. Your PC is quite accurate, so stop complaining!! Unfortunately your PC does not run on a 32768 kHz crystal, and if it did it would be a tad slow. The cost of a high accuracy crystal would be rejected by the industry and they are therefore rare. Also they are simply not needed, given the internet and atomic time sources.

Why dont you setup a synch with one of the many many free time sources on the internet, so your clock updates when you are online.

Just look for sites using www.google.co.nz, using internet time pc free

You will have over 500,000 hits to choose from - or have you already exhausted these?

Graham L
01-08-2002, 05:52 PM
There used to be a trimmer capacitor on the motherboard. I looked at one the other day. It was one of the two motherboards of an Amstrad 286. I think the latest board with a trimmer I saw was a 486 SX.

It's an expensive component. It's too fiddly, and takes too long, to set the crystals to exact frequency. Time costs money. ;-). Your crystal is pretty good. If you don't like that, clip its leads and the clock will be exactly right twice a day. :D

tangles
01-08-2002, 09:47 PM
Thanks for your help guys, I will stick with the internet synch program.
I thought there might be an easy way, but it seems easiest to have it update each day.

cheers tangles.