PDA

View Full Version : Internet Usage meter??

Warren
31-07-2002, 04:14 PM
Hi
We are on jetstream starter using a D-Link router running 3 PC's on a network .
Is there a free program that allows us to see our time online and MB usage like we used to have on dial up networking ?

godfather
31-07-2002, 04:38 PM
Xtra only count international traffic in the 5GB cap. I have an issue with this, as there is no easy way of determining if a site is based in NZ, just because it has a ".nz" in the url is no guarantee.

I asked them (twice) regarding this, as to how we can tell, their response is below. Very high handed and probably contrary to the FTA, in that you cannot dispute their meter and they do not have to provide proof.

You can of course visit the unfriendly site to check your total, but it seems unable to accept a password change to make it more acceptable

"Xtra's usage meter will be proof of usage of your account for billing
purposes (including in the case of any dispute about usage and/or charges).
Xtra will not be required to provide any further proof (including in terms
of level of detail) in order to prove its charges".

If you find it necessary, you may install a third-party Internet traffic
monitoring programs such as NS Lookup and TJPing assisting you in
identifying the host of a domain name and/or managing the usage. However these programs are NOT distributed by Xtra. The Help Desk will NOT be able to offer any support.

For any future enquiries you may find our online help site useful
http://xtra.co.nz/help, or for more specific questions please do not
hesitate to email us at help@xtra.co.nz."

Warren
31-07-2002, 07:59 PM
Hmmmm
Cheers godfather
Doesn't really tell me much, though i might try something
With this router we are always on and it would be nice to be about to disconnect a pc ....Don't ask me why
We were just used to seeing our time online,speed and the amount of bytes we were using at that session .
What is happening to the meter that we were supposed to beable to download from xtra to see our MB usage ?
Anyway ....thanks for your thoughts
Warren

godfather
31-07-2002, 08:30 PM
The meter is not downloadable, but can be wiewed on line at Xtra.

The bit that annoys me is you need the 9 digit telecom account number plus the 7+1 digit phone number just to access it. It suggests you should change the ID away from the 9 digit one, which would be great (to use your own password) but then tells you the feature is not available. Shoddy!

If you look at www.google.co.nz and search using ADSL meter, or DSL meter download or similar you will find plenty of choice, but my point is, what good is it? All you will know is total Gb, when you only clock up (on Xtra's meter) the International Gb.

Your own meter will not be able to separate the two out.

Its probably a moot point as I never exceed 1 Gb anyway, but your mileage may vary...

Babe Ruth
31-07-2002, 09:27 PM
Warren,

Try the following: A Windows Application for Monitoring Your XTRA Jetstream Starter Usage

UsageCheck (http://www.bpftp.com/usagecheck/)

Cheers, Babe.

Elwin Way
01-08-2002, 12:47 AM
Hey, there's one on this months PCWorld cover CD. Dunno if its what you're after cos I don't use it (dial-up fan)

This message was not bought to you by PC World magazine.

:D

Babe Ruth
01-08-2002, 12:52 AM
Damn Elwin, You got me there. Just received my PC World in the post today and haven't check it all out!!

Cheers, Babe.

Warren
06-08-2002, 10:06 AM
i know it's a bit after the fact(i have been on shift) but thanks for your input in to my little question
I didn't realise there was a meter on the coverdisk ...have to check it out
Cheers