PDA

View Full Version : The missing modem under Win2k

scott.walters
30-07-2002, 11:19 PM
Hi there: I am using a USR 56k external modem under WIN2k SP2 and when I try and dial out I get the following message tooooo often.

Opening port.................

Error 797: The connection failed because the modem (or other connecting device) was not found. Please make sure that the modem or other connecting device is installed.

Believe it or not, sometimes the modem works perfectly. I only get the error some times.

Opening up Control Panel and using the Add/Remove Hardware process picks up the modem and I can then dial out.

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks in advance.

Scott Walters

Sam H
30-07-2002, 11:34 PM
Make sure all the connections are Securely in place,

if that link doesn't help then you may want to check out the following link also.

"Error 797" Error Message When You Attempt to Establish a Dial-Up Connection (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q317222)

At the bottom of that webpage are two more links you may want to look at, one is specifically about a US Robotics external modem not being detected.

scott.walters
29-08-2002, 01:49 PM
Thanks Sam: YOur suggestions looked promising ,but all that has happened is that my connection speeds are regularly a bit higher.

One thing that I have noticed is that my PC seems to power up at about 9pm and there is an error in the event viewer relating to a failed TCP process, so it looks to me like something is trying to connect to the Internet.

I always get the error message when I try and dial up if the PC has self started in this fashion.

godfather
29-08-2002, 02:14 PM
I have found that a failed access attempt can result it the modem not being recognised unless the PC is rebooted. Also shutting down while connected can do it.

John Grieve
29-08-2002, 03:00 PM
I had a problem like that with my USR modem and 2000SP2 and it turned out to be 2000's detection of the com port was incorrect. All I did to fix it was remove the com ports and modem under the Device Manager and let 2000 redetect them and reinstall them and it was fine. Try that.

Graham L
29-08-2002, 04:25 PM
Do you sometimes turn the modem on before the computer, and sometimes not? Is there a correlation?

This could be Plug & Pray biting ankles again.

scott.walters
29-08-2002, 06:26 PM
The PC seems to fire itself up at about PM every night for some reason and when I turn the modem on, it can't find the port. This is not the only occurrence of this, just the most common. I will try the suggestion to uninstall the port.

mikebartnz
29-08-2002, 07:09 PM
I gather it is an external modem. I'm having the same problem. If I turn the modem on while booting everything works fine even if I turn the modem off and then on again later but if the modem is not on while it is booting it spits a dummy.

Brent P
30-08-2002, 01:53 PM
That's by design, it's so the system wouldn't be left with
unused drivers hanging around after you remove hardware. As Far as Win2K is concerned if it's not switched on at the start the device isn't there. You can do a scan for hardware changes in device manager which will pick it up. Thankfully it's not an issue in WinXP.

John Grieve
30-08-2002, 02:46 PM
Good god thats the first thing I have seen about XP that actually is an improvement :D .............but it's not quite enough to convince me yet.

Brent P
30-08-2002, 06:39 PM
Don't be convinced John, if the modem isn't turned on when XP is started it won't be detected either. The difference is that XP won't lose the modem when coming out of suspend/hibernate like Win2K would. I hardly ever reboot with XP that's why I got it wrong :p

scott.walters
10-10-2002, 04:55 PM
It has been a long time, but I am still basically back at square one with the modem. If I switch it on before I start my PC, all is well. Perhaps I can live with leaving the shortcut to add remove hardware on the desktop :-)

Graham L
10-10-2002, 05:28 PM
Can you disable Plug and Play? Some BIOSs have that option. If Windows doesn't "know" (because it hasn't been told :D) ) it won't remove the device.

Worth a try?