PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion for your profiles

dipstick01
30-07-2002, 10:04 PM
Just a quick message for all the new people here who have profiles.....go to my settings up the top and edit them to HIDE your email address. While most of the people who frequent this site are helpful and have no nasty intentions there has been one or two lately that have proven to be less than desired members of society. With your email on display you leave yourself open to all sorts of nasties from these sterling examples of modern day louts.

Baldy
30-07-2002, 11:05 PM
Good point. Well said!

Now I am off to check mine LOL :-)

loser
31-07-2002, 12:25 AM
another tip....
it is wise to use an alternative email address when signing up to anything....
for instance, create a new hotmail account or yahoo or whatever your choice may be, and use that to sign up to random websites and mailing lists....
that way, when the time comes when you get 300 spam messages per day (AND IT WILL COME, kinda like death ;) ), you can just forget about that account and create a new one. You don't need to worry about telling your friends and whoever to update their contacts, because being a brainy person, you've given them you proper email address (maybe the one you were assigned by your ISP).

Baldy
31-07-2002, 11:25 AM
I have two eyes and a trigger finger hovering over the BIG X.... You don't have to read every spam message LOL

I doubt if you would get 300 spam emails a day on Hotmail though

Elwin Way
31-07-2002, 11:34 AM
Baldy, I have a hotmail address. I know it gets spammed about 150 times a day. I don't care because I don't use it, except for when signing up for things :D Some sites require a legit email address.

Baldy
31-07-2002, 12:49 PM
I use my Xtra for everything (apart from MSN for chat) and I hardly ever get spam.

I thought that there was a very small email box size on Hotmail, thats why I can't be bothered about it.

Sometimes spam is good though

loser
31-07-2002, 03:14 PM
i kid you not, i was getting around 270+ spam messages per day on hotmail.
that was when i decided it was time to get a new address!
2mb is a small mailbox size, but for things like the notifications from pressF1, and maybe a few e-zines or something, which you tend to read and then delete, this is fine.
I don't know about you guys, but I tend not to file EVERY pressf1 notification that I get ;)