PDA

View Full Version : Defrag Problem

Kiwitas
30-07-2002, 08:02 PM
I normally defrag once a week but this week can only get to 34%
and wont go any further.
The hard-drive continues to click away but that is all.
Have tried in Safe mode,Power-defrag etc,etc.
Have run thorough scandisc,but no errors,surface or otherwise,checked for viruses with AVG and NAV(these are allways running latest updates!Installed and run Swat-it and Pest patrol as Trojan scans and still to no avail!
Have W98 on a P11/266mhz CPU with 128mb EDO ram.

Any ideas out there please,

Kiwitas,:-(

tweak\'e
30-07-2002, 08:12 PM
>128 EDO ram

are u sure? sdram would be more normal.

what is the minimum swapfile size? try setting it to 100meg or above.

Kiwitas
30-07-2002, 09:37 PM
Thank's Tweak'e,

The M/board is a T16NFK/KP6 and has 6x 72-pinSimms,so takes a max of
384MB(6 slots are unusual?)
Where do I change swapfile size?

Cheers,Kiwitas,;-)

loser
30-07-2002, 11:35 PM
right click my computer > properties > performance > virtual memory
set your own setting
a good way to do things is set both the min and the max to the size of your ram, assuming you have the free hard drive space.

tweak\'e
31-07-2002, 10:42 AM
groan....... not the "set virtual memory/swap file to x times ram" again :(

just put in a minimum amount. the more ram you have the SMALLER the swap file needs to be.

loser
31-07-2002, 02:27 PM
granted, that does seem a reasonable way to look at things...

however, hypothetically, say my 256MB of ram was all used up, and I wanted to run a program that wanted like I don't know, 180MB of ram for some out-o- it reason.....
wouldn't windows then want a rather largish swap file?
I believe there is benefit in that windows does not need to ever resize the swapfile if you set the min and max to the same(?)

Graham L
31-07-2002, 02:37 PM
If the disk is too full, defrag can have troubles. That is the most likely cause.

You don't need a bigger swap file while doing a defrag. Defrag won't use the swap file. Nothing else should be running.

YOU DON"T WANT ANYTHING WRITING TO THE DISK WHILE DEFRAGGING. NOTHING SHOULD DO THAT WHILE DEFRAGGING, EXCEPT DEFRAG. would you like me to emphasize that by shouting?

Just my opinion, folks. ;-)

Chilling_Silence
31-07-2002, 04:33 PM
I agree with graham, try using super rabbit magic set to kill all open apps before de-fragging
www.rescueman.cjb.net is my site and you can get it from there

Chilling_Silence

Kiwitas
31-07-2002, 09:14 PM
Thanks for help Graham and all but everything Iv'e tried is to no avail?

Only thing I am unsure about is every time i uncheck Epson status monitor check in msconfig Startup,when I reboot it is checked again?
There is a possiblity that it is running while i am trying to defrag?
Cant find where to turn it off?

Space shouldn't be my problem as only using 7.2Gb of 18.6Gb(20Gig Hard-drive)

Windows is again looking after virtual Mem but after adding another 128 Mb's of ram(now 256Mb)this am,had it set on 150 min with no limit max.

That Epson thing doesnt show to be running when I Ctrl/Alt/Del when I start to defrag but it may start sometime during?Is this possible?

Cheers,Kiwitas,;-) Still smiling but only just

Susan B
31-07-2002, 10:02 PM
Fast Find (or Find Fast, whatever it is) runs in the background and can be a cause for uncompleted defrags.

If you've still got yours you can get rid of it in Control Panel, and deleting it from your Startup folder if it's in there.

Richard N
31-07-2002, 10:05 PM
I agree with Graham as well but I am wondering if yoiu are actually disabling your virus programme as these have a habit of disrupting DEFRAG. As you have usedbefore try the msconfig > startup and disable the virus apps from starting.

Richard

tweak\'e
31-07-2002, 10:51 PM
>You don't need a bigger swap file while doing a defrag. Defrag won't use the swap file. Nothing else should be running.

correct. except windows will sometimes resize it, make it smaller due to it not being used. this upsets all defrag utilities.

bit if its still not working (i assume you have done it in safe mode) buggered if i know. the only other thing, which i doubt would fix it, is to delete the applog folder(rename it would be safer)

Kiwitas
31-07-2002, 11:01 PM
Thanks Susan B & Richard N,
Luckily I dont have Find-Fast or whatever installed,and I am resonably sure that my AV apps are turned off!BUT,not sure about that Epson ink level checker!

Anyway thanks again for all your input.

It's off to the Guru in the morn!

Cheers,Kiwitas,;-)

Chilling_Silence
02-08-2002, 03:13 PM
I would suggest you use Super Rabbit and goto the Autorun section to see EVERYTHING that's running, or you could try using Wintasks 4 to see, and use those apps to kill unwanted apps that are open. Just coz an app's running doesn't mean it'll show up by pressing Ctrl+Alt+DEL, many progs can avoid that, such as keyloggin software (I've got 2 different ones running on my Home PC and neither show up in taskmon)
So, yeah, you may have stuff you didn't realize was running, actually running in the background.
Hope that helps
Chilling_SIlence

Bill Lester
03-08-2002, 02:40 PM
Hey ! folks ! Am I living on borrowed time or what ? What you (I) don't know don't hurt you ?? Since I've had this PC I've been running de-frag and scandisc on a regular basis. Never gone into "safe mode" or taken any other precautions. No probs ! I must concede that I did try to do a "complete" system check which was still going around 10 hours later!I went back to "partial" (is that the word?) mode and all was completed in a short time. I've never shut down running programmes - didn't know how until recently! Should I be getting paranoid about the whole deal? Until I started watching PressF1 I didn't know that such probs existed !
Oh....Hell!! Now I'm having nightmares! Anyone for Prozac?? Bill.

teachme
03-08-2002, 03:17 PM
if u cant understand the pros
thenn listen to me if it says a program is writing to the drive and use scan disk to fix the prob dont bother just ctrl alt del and endtask everthing apart from explorer and systray

then start scan disk again
your prob shoud be gone no that no progames r writing to the hdd