PDA

View Full Version : winVNC bagging in AUGUST PC World

wotz
30-07-2002, 07:38 PM
I can't believe the bagging given to winVNC in the August edition. "...strictly for techies with a masochistic bent..." and "has lousy documentation and difficult setup"

Sure, its not the best software for remotely accessing your PC. Its great for providing support and assistance over our 30 pc network.

Poor documentation - because its so simple in what it does you would almost have to be a moron to not work it out.

Setup is no more difficult than any other software. I added it to the startup of all the pc's.

There was some resistance at first as some thought I would read all their emails. I could if I had time, but they know when I use it (icon in system tray changes colours). After the first time I used it to help they keep finding reasons for me to use it again.

J ZEP
30-07-2002, 10:12 PM
> Sure, its not the best software for remotely
> accessing your PC. Its great for providing support
> and assistance over our 30 pc network.
>
> Poor documentation - because its so simple in what it
> does you would almost have to be a moron to not work
> it out.

Oh i can't believe that!!! August PC World IS out!!! I checked the supermarket on the weekend & my bookshop today and no it wasn't there!!! I knew it must be really close to coming out! I must get around to a subscription! So i haven't read the article yet and look forward to
reading it. Graham P put me onto it through F1 (VNC) for helping an overseas rellie with probs - and i would have to agree with you it is a simple easy to use program -
A overview from the site:
VNC stands for Virtual Network Computing. It is, in essence, a remote display system which allows you to view a computing 'desktop' environment not only on the machine where it is running, but from anywhere on the Internet and from a wide variety of machine architectures.

wotz totally agree it isn't really for remotely accessing your pc but it is perfect for providing support and assistance to others, thats why i used it! - Can you use it for remotely accessing your own pc? That wasn't why i got it and i didn't look into that aspect of it, thought it was mainly designed for support and assistance of other computers?
Anyway look forward to reading the article!

nzStan
31-07-2002, 05:57 PM
If you put it in comparison to pAW then yes, I would agree that VNC is not on par. But the one thing that make VNC so popular is it is FREE!

The second thing is it is a bloody small download.

I'm using a different variant of VNC called TightVNC which I discovered is a lot lot lot x 100 times better than VNC. TightVNC can be found at www.tightvnc.com and has better performance over a modem than VNC.

But perhaps one of the best thing I like about tightVNC (and VNC) is using the Java app to connect to a remote PC. All I have to do to connect to a PC running the VNC server service is load up a Java enabled browser like IE and type in http://hostname:5800. Type in the password and I'm in.

Graham Petrie
31-07-2002, 06:30 PM
I find VNC great for solving network problems as I can change the settings of all the networked computers from one machine. It is also good for remote access especially when I get to uni and suddenly remember that I had forgotten to grab something fro home. I am a little concerned about security, but my firewall should pic up any dodgy activity, and it hasn't yet.

I disagreed as to what was said in the article to which tweak'e refers, but I often disagree with the pcworld authors, so I don't usually bother to say anything.

G P