PDA

View Full Version : Win95 cd to floppy

Shroeder
30-07-2002, 04:30 PM
Hi there

I've already got W95 on a cd-rom (not used on any machine) and have just been given an old laptop that only has a floppy drive.

I thought it would be useful for the kids to do there homework etc (otherwise I'd put a small linux distro on it)

Can I (using my good computer of course) somehow copy my win95 cd onto floppies in such a way to enable me to load from them?

Thanks in advance

Elwin Way
30-07-2002, 04:35 PM
Yes, use the Backup to floppy thing found somewhere. It usually pops up after you have first installed win95.

Be warned, you will need a lot of floppys. My estimate is around 35. Others might have a better idea.

Graham L
30-07-2002, 04:39 PM
It's possible, and can be done in the proper MS way, with 1.7MB floppies. But the easy way is to use ZIP to make a spanned zip file on floppies from the WIN95 directory on the CD. Then unpack it to a WIN95 directory on the laptop, and run "setup.exe" in that directory.

Given a choice between the proper way and the easy way, I sometimes choose the proper one. ;-) But in this case, it's also the most likely to work. :D And it is also quicker.:D:D

If you haven't got PKUNZIP for DOS, look for it on Simtel. (msdos/compression)

Graham L
30-07-2002, 04:43 PM
P.S. Not that many floppies, and I've never seen that "backup to floppy". (Compaq used to give you a chance to do that with W3.1, when they gave you a nonstandard installatoin from the HD). That directory is the only one you need .

Shroeder
30-07-2002, 04:46 PM
Hi Graham

(Expected you to tell me to make the rascals learn linux!)

Does your comment mean I do a spanned zip from WinZip and then open in MS-Dos using PKunzip?

Also, this would mean I would need a bootup disk to get an MS Dos prompt? Drive has been formatted!

-=JM=-
30-07-2002, 04:56 PM
Just out of interest Graham,

How would one go about doing it the proper MS way?

Graham L
30-07-2002, 05:33 PM
Well of course, they would do better to learn Linux. ;-) But surely you can find (or make) a boot disk which will give a DOS prompt, and put PKUNZIP on it. Copying from the W95 CD doesn't give you a boot disk. I haven't seen an image of the W95 bootdisk on the CD (though I haven't looked for one ;-)) Certainly MS don't give you rawrite or anything like it. You have to boot to DOS anyway to do the install.

Yes, use WinZip or PKZIP to make the spanned disks. I'd prefer to make the output on a hard disk, then copy the .zip files to the floppies, so I could recopy if there's a dud floppy. (Remember that there is an index file which *must* be on the last disk, as well as the compressed file).

J.M. There had a discussion here a while ago. It's messy, and needs a formatter for MS 1.7MB floppies. It IS possible. But Schoeder doesn't want a set of floppies exactly as MS would have done it. He wants to install W95 with minimum stuffing around.

Terry Porritt
30-07-2002, 08:20 PM
Incidently, there is an excellent shareware program I thought worth buying called Maxformat, which can format floppies up to 1.7MB, including DMF1 and DMF2, etc.

It's at this site:
http://www.alkonost.com/maxformat/

robsonde
30-07-2002, 08:26 PM
dependin on the version of win95 it should be 20-30 floppy's.

there is a toy called fdread.exe and fdformat.exe that will let you put 1.Mb on a floppy.

I sugest you put aside a full day to do the job :-)

-=JM=-
30-07-2002, 09:28 PM
Haven't tried it out yet. But the superdisk drive at college will format a 1.44MB floppy to 32MB.

Also those Sony MemoryStick Adapters are rather large floppys. Would take an age doing 128MB through a standard floppy drive. Haven't used it either.

godfather
30-07-2002, 09:38 PM
I often use an fd adapter with 32 mb smartmedia in it. Great for a simple transfer, but slow as.

Billy T
31-07-2002, 12:13 AM
Hi JM

Do tell how? I have an early LS120 Superdisk and also a later model USB drive. At first flush I can't see how you can ask it to format a standard floppy to 32MB but I'm willling to learn!

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

-=JM=-
31-07-2002, 12:12 PM
It is the drive as found here (http://www.ascent.co.nz/mn-product-spec.asp?pid=104939) it says on the drive that it can format a floppy to 32MB with the compression software included.

It also mentions that here (http://www.imation.com/static_sites/australia/superdiskau.html).

Merlin
31-07-2002, 01:24 PM
Three good options

Network installation
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q133349
Requires a working network, shared directories/drives and a properly configured bootable network floppy disk.

DOS serial/parallel cable
Use intersvr and interlnk from DOS 6x. Configuration instructions are access at a DOS 6x prompt - intersvr /? or interlnk /?
Requires connection by parallel or serial cable and properly configured bootable floppy disks.
CD drives are not recognised by intersvr - copy the CD to a hard drive

Floppy disk installation
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q135542
Requires third party software if original disks are not available.
Use Maxidisk from herne.com for DMF format and search for cabmaker if winzip is not configured. Date stamping of the cabinet files is critical - search and use time stamp.

Other options include PKZIP/PKUNZIP or removing the laptop drive and installing in a PC using the appropriate adapter.

Also

Floppy- disk backup of the Windows 95 installation disks
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q162668

And a corrupt disk in a spanned zip archive requires recreation of the entire archive

Billy T
31-07-2002, 04:27 PM
Bugger :(

My SuperDisks are LS120s not LS 240. Could be that it is a driver/software feature though, and I might get 16MB on a standard floppy instead.

Actually, it sounds a bit like it doesn't really provide 32MB of disk space, maybe it just compresses 32 MB and crams it into a reformatted 1.44MB disk that offers 10 or 15MB of uncompressed space. I might have to keep on buying my own lunch after all.

I'll watch this and other spaces for developments as the LS240 is quite new. If you have a chance to try it out JM I'd be interested in how it is set up and what the compression software actually does.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Graham L
31-07-2002, 04:39 PM
3.5" floppies hold 1.44 Mb reasonably reliably. I don't trust them to hold any more. Writing a floppy is a two part operation. I consider the most important part is the second part: reading the information off.

I don't believe 32 MB on standard floppies. Even compressed with a normal range of files. My compressed hard disks seem to average 2:1. I might believe 4 MB.

If the LS240 has a more powerful tracking laser than the LS120, and can burn a servo track on standard disks, that might work.

Well off track, aren't we?

-=JM=-
31-07-2002, 05:30 PM
I'll try and test it out at some stage.

The only thing I've ever used it for is reading floppies.

It's kept in the room with all the HP ePC's. They have no floppies.

So I'll try and test it out at some stage though. Would probably have to track down the software at college,

Billy T
31-07-2002, 07:13 PM
Well I'll be buggered :O

A quick Google search uncovered ads like this:

SUPERDISK 240 DRIVE OFFERS FEATURES THAT CAN'T BE
BEAT AT ANY PRICE! THIS NEW INCARNATION OF THE SUPERDISK
TECHNOLOGY CAN REFORMAT STANDARD 1.44MB FLOPPY DISKETTES TO A WHOPPING 32MB CAPACITY ALLOWING CONVENIENT STORAGE OF PHOTOS MP3 DATABASE AND OTHER CRITICAL INFORMATION. THAT'S 22 TIMES THE CAPACITY OF THE ORIGINAL 1.44MB DISKETTE!

THE SUPERDISK 240 DRIVE ALLOWS YOU TO USE NEW HIGH CAPACITY
240MB SUPERDISKS TO FILL YOUR EVER-GROWING STORAGE NEEDS. IT ALSO SUPPORTS 120MB SUPERDISK 1.44MB AND 720KB FLOPPY DISKETTES GIVING YOU FULL BACKWARD COMPATIBILITY WITH LEGACY PORTABLE STORAGE MEDIA.

KEY SELLING BULLETS
-USB BUS-POWERED INTERFACE
-PC/MAC COMPATIBLE
-SUPPORTS LS240 LS120 1.44MB FLOPPY AND 720KB FLOPPY MEDIA
-DANTZ RETROSPECT EXPRESS SOFTWARE FOR BACK-UP (PC/MAC)
-INDUSTRY STANDARD REMOVABLE MEDIA DRIVE

-SUPERWRITE32 TO FORMAT STANDARD 1.44MB FLOPPY DISK TO 32MB CAPACITY

I guess they may have something there after all!

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :D :D

-=JM=-
31-07-2002, 08:25 PM
>ALLOWING CONVENIENT STORAGE OF PHOTOS MP3 DATABASE AND >OTHER CRITICAL INFORMATION

There is no way that I would ever trust a floppy disk with any amount of critical data.

Billy T
31-07-2002, 09:04 PM
I'm with you on that one JM.

It's hard enough to keep data safe on a pretty much hermetically sealed hard drive without entrusting it to magnetic media that is wide open to the elements by comparison.

Mind you, I've never understood how major organisations can commit Gigs of crucial data to stretchy plastic tape with a life measured in passes, not hours, and call it a back-up. :O

Yeah, I know when it works it works, but the horror stories of tape failures are legion.

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :D :D :D