PDA

View Full Version : 386 Won't start

Pop67
29-07-2002, 07:24 PM
My grandchildren use an old 386 to draw and print pictures. One of them plugged in the printer while the PC was running which froze the machine. Now on start up all they get is 10 beeps. Windows3.1 won't start.
Any ideas how to fix this problem?

godfather
29-07-2002, 07:32 PM
10 beeps indicates (assuming an AMI BIOS) that something has gone wrong on the motherboard and it is causing a conflict with CMOS RAM.

Its unlikely to be reparable economically, but there bust be lots of old 386 - 486 processor units out there somewhere...

Dolby Digital
29-07-2002, 10:04 PM
Take the cover off and reseat the cards on the motherboard, also the cables, ram etc. It could just be a minor problem... but then again, it could be a major problem.

Good Luck

jay_db
30-07-2002, 05:31 PM
doesnt sound good - back in the day (b4 i took a big step up into the 'today' of computing) i had a 386. i was fiddling around - as ya do, and a similar thing happened. i thought i had fried the motherboard with my static, but it turned out that the old battery had leaked or woteva and THAT had fried the board. the whole comp was buggered, so it was destinied for the dump after that.

if there is a small cylindric thingie (about 1/2 the length of an AA battery) on the motherboard near the plug for the keyboard, then look closely to see if there has been a leak/frying going on.

Graham L
30-07-2002, 06:08 PM
There is a possibility they zapped the printer interface, but that *shouldn't* have taken out the rest of the computer. If you've got a computer shop in town ask if they've got an old multi I/O card lying around. Replacing that card might fix it. Might not, too. It will be cheaper to get another one, than paying someone to fix it. Ask the guys at the local tip to intercept any computers going in. Or put a card in the dairy window.