PDA

View Full Version : CD writer not recognised by BIOS

polarbear
29-07-2002, 01:34 PM
I have a Diamond Data DD10432 (32x read, 10x write) CD-RW drive that, until recently, was running fine in a PC with a Gigabyte GA-7ZX motherboard. A few weeks ago, the PC kept "hanging" and Windows NT was generating IDE error 9 messages (SCSI device not ready). For a while, rebooting the PC fixed this issue but eventually the PC would boot up saying that there was no CD drive on the system. The BIOS now doesn't seem to recognise the drive, as it did before.

I returned the drive to the supplier who tested it and say it is fine. It seems to work on other PC's but they are running Win98 rather than NT4.

Is this a problem with the drive, the motherboard BIOS or NT? I really do need to have a working CD-RW drive as it is used for data backup on a scientific instrument.

Thanks for your help.....

Regards
Kevin Sutton suttonk@crop.cri.nz

parry
29-07-2002, 02:00 PM
Hi cant profess to know the answer. I had a quick look at the Mitsubishi site that makes DD and there is a subsection in the FAQ on Installation. Have a try of some of the things there such as ...

<<If you have a SCSI or other non-IDE hard disk drive, check the Devices section of the Control Panel and make sure that the Startup type of the atapi device is set to "Boot">>

http://www.mitsubishi-electric.com.au

Is your CDRW SCSI or IDE? Seemed strange to have an IDE error of SCSI not ready.

Biggles
29-07-2002, 02:18 PM
Kevin - not a good idea to post your email in the thread as it can be harvested there by automated agents that search the web for email addresses - and then you'll find you're on a spam list. I can remove it if you wish.

Bruce Buckman

tech_mister
29-07-2002, 02:54 PM
You could try updating the ASPI driver.
Sounds like the problem may be with the motherboard though.
Try using another IDE on the m/b.