View Full Version : How to Mod My Case

29-07-2002, 11:58 AM
hey guys me again!!

what tools and materials would i use to go about cutting a window in the side of my case!



Elwin Way
29-07-2002, 12:14 PM
If you want a square / round window, draw a pattern on a piece of wood, get another piecce of wood, and clamp one on each side of the area you want to cut. This stops the metal from warping.

Use a drill to make rounded corners and from there you can use a jigsaw (clamp a ruler to the works to keep a straight line) to cut the rest out.

If you are looking to make a really cool shape that has lots of nice curves and pointy corners, then a dremel tool is the best.

Alternatively you can er... send it to me.. :D

Graham L
29-07-2002, 03:15 PM
Cutting holes in sheet metal causes a lot of bad language unless you have the right equipment. ;-) Holes which are drilled and sawed have jagged edges. :-( If you want it to look as if it was done by a professional, get it done by a professional. :D See someone who does sheetmetal work (Air conditioning installers, "plumbers", etc). They will have a punch, or a power nibbler, and can make clean edged holes. It will be a much better job. :-)

29-07-2002, 03:28 PM
hand nibblers are s-l-o-w but leave a good finish, particularly the ones that punch out small rectangular sections each bite.

Susan B
29-07-2002, 03:51 PM
Won't my hubby (an engineer) be surprised when I tell him what tool he has to use to cut out my case window? :D

Graham L
29-07-2002, 03:56 PM
Then he'll use the gas axe. ]:) Without taking the cover off the computer. :D :D :D

Poppa John
29-07-2002, 04:06 PM
Susan B. Graham L is being cruel, don't take any notice of him Luv.Definitely take the lid off first!!! Amused Poppa John :D :D

Susan B
29-07-2002, 04:06 PM
:O :O :O

*Susan B quickly closes Press F1 page and clears temp internet and history files in case hubby sees Graham L's message and gets ideas*

Graham Petrie
29-07-2002, 04:47 PM
A simple way to cover up an amatuer cutting job is with rubber or plastic edging. If you plan on filling the new hole with a perspex window, then you will need some of this nyway (unless you plan to screww or rivet the perspex in place). WARNING: screwing or riveting requires neat and precise cutting and the correct gear eg. rivet gun (brass screws look beter than stainless or alloy in my opinion).

I am thinking of building a case from scratch with some bits from my current case using crosshatched aluminium plating, except I am having trouble sourcing the plate without buying a huge sheet.

Will probably get things into gear in time for xmas.



Graham L
31-07-2002, 04:27 PM
Just thought of another trade which cuts holes in sheet metal, and fits windows: panelbeaters/van customizers. A hand nibbler works well for small holes in thin aluminium; very hard work making big holes in steel.

31-07-2002, 04:31 PM
There are places you can buy special cases that have windows in them, tinted or clear, I think you could get one from www.pcpieces.co.nz
Not 2 sure though