PDA

View Full Version : Serial Cable for Gaming

Ritzz
27-07-2002, 02:23 AM
I would like to play games which state serial or something like i have NFSII racing one. We got two pcs and they are about 5 meters apart.

The thing is i dont know how to go about getting the right cable. Have few Q's here also.

To begin with i dont know if there is a standard serial cable or they come in diff flavours. So where do they plug in...in that 9pin slot or the biggger 25. Can i use a parrallel cable to play game stating serial gaming on the box?

i went to DSE but the sales dude wouldnt explain much and just point me to the aisle where all's kept.

Oh whats null modem and all that i hear about. Can i use modem to play games in serial mode as both the pc's have modems? can someone give me some tips on these. Thankxx

wuppo
27-07-2002, 10:12 AM
To conect to PC's via their serial ports, you need a 'null modem' cable which crosses the transmit pin on one serial port to the receive pin on the other serial port (and vice versa). The reason it is called a 'null modem' cable is that it (in theory) replaces the modems that you could have connected to the serial ports. You are much better off using the serial ports directly connected with a 'null modem' cable, than using modems (when the computers are in close proximity). Whether you use the 9 or 25 pin serial port doesn't matter - as long as you have a matching cable, and the port is actually working - sometimes one port may be disabled to accomodate a modem etc. Usually the 9 pin is available and is normally 'COM1'. You will need to set the COM port you are using in you game's configuration.

In theory you could use modems - usually much slower than serial 'direct', and if you game doesn't have direct support for modem connections, you have the added problem of getting the modems to negotiate a connection before you can play the game.

godfather
27-07-2002, 12:42 PM
DSE sell 5m long null modem serial cables

Graham L
27-07-2002, 03:51 PM
The MS "Direct Cable Connection" will let you use either a serial (null modem) or a parallel "Lap Link" style cable. The parallel will usually be faster, but won't work (very well, if at all) if there are other things connected to the port.

I believe that there is now a USB "null modem" cable for this too. That would be worth considering if you have the ports at both ends.

The best serial null modem cables have one each of 9 pin and 25 pin connectors at each end. The serial cables should have sockets at both ends; the parallel Lap-Link will have 25 pin plugs at both ends.

Try another shop if DSE have ignorant staff.