PDA

View Full Version : HP 5200C Flat bed scanner

ahoundau
26-07-2002, 04:05 PM
i went to start my scanner the other day, and a message came up to say that it wasnt avalible - ? being used by another application...?? this is the same message that appears when it is not plugged in or has gone to sleep

i unplugged the scanner and plugged it in - what seems to be the normal procedure to wake it up - no change

checked that the parallel cable was connected - ok both ends
checked the scanner power cord - plugged in both ends, and lamp illuminated
checked the software - still installed and device listed as working correctly under control panel- system - device

but still no joy.

next i un installed the soft wear rebooted, reloaded, rebooted and still the same "inuse message"

next - closed down all other applications including all background applications and then tried to run scan - no change

? any ideas?

cheers ahoundau

Graham L
26-07-2002, 05:30 PM
This is a parallel port scanner ... Have you got any other devices (such as a printer) on the same port? Make sure that the port is set to appropriate mode in the BIOS (ECP, EPP --- it can be critiical).

If you have other devices on the port, post with the details of them.

ahoundau
28-07-2002, 12:13 AM
nope there is nothing else running off the parallel port from the pc or via the scanner - it was working fine, then suddenly one day its not interested, every thing seems tickety boo, but when i start the scan software it happily announces that the scanner is being used by another application would i like to wait or run the software with out the scanner????

cheers ahoundau

Graham L
28-07-2002, 02:44 PM
I'd have a good look for anything (printer driver) which might be grabbing the interrupt. That wil cause this problem. Any programme which might use a printer is suspect (can you try not loading any such?)

Graham L
28-07-2002, 02:45 PM
Addenda: If you have a printer driver installed, change its port to be LPT2, so it can't collide. you don't have to have an LPT2 to do this.