PDA

View Full Version : DOS applications eat windows XP memory

Vicki
26-07-2002, 11:04 AM
Can anyone tell me the correct settings for memory for Dos applications, which will stop them bringing XP to a standstill?

I'm using a qbasic accounting programme, the old dos 6 edit.exe (don't ask why, it just does what I want and other apps don't!) and wp5.1. They ran just fine on an old 80486 with whatever was the standard ram then!

Also, in the "properties" windows for 2 of these programmes, there is no option for memory allocation! Can I set it from a command prompt, or in the execution instructions line?

Vicki

Biggles
26-07-2002, 11:31 AM
Vicki - if you want to run these type of apps you'd be better off running Win9.x, not XP. As pointed out in your other thread, XP does not include or fully support DOS. I don't think the marriage of XP with old DOS apps is ever going to be a happy one.

parry
26-07-2002, 11:31 AM
Pretty sad to think only an old program can do the business :-) My understanding is from WinMe onwards there is no real DOS mode and from my experience the Windows virtual DOS mode for old programs isnt perfect.

Not sure what you can do except perhaps have a multi-boot with a DOS partition. See the following link for multi-boot options.
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/using/howto/gettingstarted/multiboot.asp

I don't have XP so sorry I can't play around to test a few things. I recall seeing a program a few months ago that claimed to be able to re-introduce a real DOS environment to WinMe & 2000 (not sure about XP) but damned if I can remember the name now. Will post again if I find it.

Good luck :-)

godfather
26-07-2002, 12:21 PM
I assume there will be no memory allocation option, given that there is no DOS at all....

Re WP5.1 I have used all the programs since then and would disagree with your previous comment that none give the functionality. The latest Office XP appears to have most idiosyncracies removed, and I am sure that it would beat WP5.1 hands down. The main problem is, you have to learn it and you already know WP5.1.

It begs the question of course, have you considered WP 8,9 or 10?
They seem to have encompassed most of 5.1 functionality.

I agree with the comment that the only way you will get what you require is to dual boot with DOS as your second OS.

-=JM=-
26-07-2002, 10:01 PM
You could use a program like VM Ware to create a virtual machine so that you can emulate a full computer with DOS.