PDA

View Full Version : Faxes

arjay
25-07-2002, 07:57 PM
Are there no Fax facilities on Win 98, 'cos I can't find any.

Capt Jimbo
25-07-2002, 08:59 PM
I may be corrected on this but I don't believe that there is a fax program as part of the win 98 operating system.
You often get fax programs bundled with modems (assuming it's fax capable)
There are also the commercial fax programs such as winfax
It is also available through the Microsoft Office suite (as an add on to Outlook)
Just don't make my mistake and upgrade to ME. Microsoft kindly dropped fax support for ME.

Capt Jimbo

-=JM=-
25-07-2002, 09:39 PM
I'm sure that there is a program on the disc that will send faxes. But I don't have the disc handy at the moment and I can't remember straight from the top of the head.

Alternatively you could download a free fax program.

exLL
25-07-2002, 10:42 PM
There was an article in NZPC World magazine Dec99/Jan2000, page 20 and 26, on The lost art of PC-based faxing.

I have windows 98 and can send and receive faxes, using the software provided on the win 98 cdrom.

Here are some excerpts from the article:

[The fax applet that came with windows 95 works just fine with windows 98. Furthermore, it's free for the taking on the windows 98 CD-Rom, if you know where to look.]

[To install the applet, browse your windows 98 CD and go to tools\oldwin 95\message\us. Double click on wms-fax.exe, which installs the Windows Messaging components that the fax program needs. Reboot your system and return to the same location, then double-click on awfax.exe, which loads the applet. You'll need to reboot again to make the applet available.]

The fax program that came with Win 95 was no longer supported from Win 98 onwards, but they left it on the Win 98 cd rom (but not obvious to find). Also, note that it is called Windows Messaging, instead of the previous name of Microsoft Exchange.

Cheers.

Susan B
25-07-2002, 10:52 PM
There must be because I've got Win98 and I've got fax set up on my PC. :D

Get your CD out, browse to D:\tools\oldwin95\message\intl (where D is your CD drive).

Read the Read-Me or go to these sites for instructions:

http://www.slipstick.com/config/win98-wminstall.htm
http://www.wown.info/j_helmig/exchngcl.htm

arjay
26-07-2002, 11:57 AM
Thanks for information. Fax is now up and running.. Nice one!