PDA

View Full Version : what the hell is OEM version

24-07-2002, 12:16 PM
i got a OEM version of nortons anti virus 2001 and when it detechs viruses i can fix it, it can only corintine it or some thin

is oem no a full version or somting

godfather
24-07-2002, 12:27 PM
Sorry timyang, your spelling does not allow full comprehension of your problems.

OEM means Original Equipment Manufacturer, and in the case of the software is often a special version pre-loaded or supplied with a new computer. It may not have all features in some cases, and in the case of Nortons I think you need to pay a full fee to renew it, not a cheaper upgrade cost?

24-07-2002, 12:58 PM
it dosnt have any thing saying i have to pay to use it

godfather
24-07-2002, 01:01 PM
> it dosnt have any thing saying i have to pay to use
> it

I didnt say you had to pay to use it, but when it expires after 12 months? you need to renew it, and then it will cost. You can use a free one (AVG from www.grisoft.com) then though

Baldy
24-07-2002, 02:02 PM
As far as I am concerned OEM sucks.

Take computers such as HP, Compaq, Packard Bell...... when you buy one of those type brands new, it comes bundled with OEM versions of say Nortons anti virus. After a certain time, your "free" subscription runs out and you have to renew. What they really want you to do is to rip out and buy the latest boxed version at your friendly computer retailer. To renew subscription is nearly the same cost as the latest boxed program.

The sooner manufacturers stop using OEM the better. But they won't, of course. They probably get the "trial" programs for nothing, and if they put a "full" program in (one that you get the full set of disks with) there would be less profit for them.

BALDY

24-07-2002, 02:10 PM
my anti virus says ur gay, asswipe

24-07-2002, 02:11 PM
sorry i mean it dosnt say any thing about renewing it

godfather
24-07-2002, 02:14 PM
I guess if it was "free" to start with, you have had good value?
Advertising should state that full costs apply to renew...

Baldy
24-07-2002, 02:20 PM
> my anti virus says ur gay, asswipe

Say What? I was really only trying to help. Don't be so rude.....

This is the last time I am going to try and help anyone on this forum.... Bye, Bye Press F1..... I have better things to do with myself then be insulted.

BALDY

24-07-2002, 02:21 PM
can u turn mp3 files to wav files

24-07-2002, 02:22 PM
sorry im just angry at my computer
and the fact thar im poor

Biggles
24-07-2002, 02:25 PM
Timyang - insults like that are not acceptable. If you can't act maturely here then go somewhere else please.