PDA

View Full Version : Disconnecting from Internet when leaving Internet Explorer

raysaccounnt
23-07-2002, 11:40 PM
When I leave Internet Explorer, the system usually gives me the option of Disconnecting from the Internet or staying "On Line".

Sometimes, however, it doesn't and, even though I am right out of Internet Explorer I am still connected to the Internet. My usual course of action is to restart the computer to disconnect.

Why does this happen and is there a simple way to ensure I disconnect from the Internet when I leave Internet Explorer?

I have I E v 6.00 and Windows 98 S E.

Heather P
23-07-2002, 11:46 PM
First off - no need to restart to disconnect - there are easier and faster ways.

At the bottom right of your screen in the task bar you should see a small icon - picture of 2 computers with a wire between them. Right click this and click "Disconnect"

(A second way is to pull the phone jack out of the wall, wait a few seconds then plug it back in).

You don't say what version of IE you are running but in v5.5 click on Tools; Internet Options; Connections; Settings; Advanced; then check the box "Disconnect when computer connection may no longer be needed" - or change the time in the box above this if you prefer.