PDA

View Full Version : FAQ 37: My screen has gone all funny (weired Colours). What do I do?

Sam H
23-07-2002, 11:31 PM
My screen has gone all funny (weired Colours). What do I do?

Signs

The typical sign you will se is the colours on the monitor going all funny, you may also notice that the picture on the monitor is looking a bit fuzzy

What Causes It?

This sometimes happens to monitors and is normally caused by a magnetic feild from a magnet or more commonly the electro-magnetic field from computer speakers and other electronic devices near the monitor.

How Do I Fix It?

Most Modern Monitors will have a feature in the function Menu that says 'Degauss', simply use that to rid the screen of those funny colors. If your monitor does not have this feature or the Degauss function does not do a good job then I would recomend taking the monitor into a computer store or and electronic repair shop and they will use a Degaussing wand.

How can I stop it happening again?

The first thing would be never ever put magnets near the monitor or computer, however the most common thing that causes it are computer speakers that aren't magnetically sheilded. If your computer speakers are situated close to your monitor try moving them away so they are not so close to the monitor. If it still happens then you may want to consider buying a new pair of speakers, as chances are your current pair aren't magnetically sheilded. Make sure that when you are buying new speakers that it says that they are magnetically sheilded to prevent interferance with monitors.

Sam H
23-07-2002, 11:38 PM
Ignore this one please, I forgot to spell check.

My spelling is pretty shocking.

*hangs head in shame and walks away*