PDA

View Full Version : Game problem

Ziggyman
23-07-2002, 11:23 PM
Hello, this is my first ever request, and Im not sure how exactly this is supposed to be worded. Ok, well anyway, I am having trouble running my games on my new computer, its a 2000 mhz w 512 mb of ram, and a 60 gb hard disk drive, I have windows xp. Now, I have tried to run the games, Age Of Empires (the first one), Quake 2, and Star Craft, when I enter these games the begining cinimatic music starts with a black screen, but then the music stops and I am wished back to my windows desktop, and the game is displayed in the taskbar at the bottom of the screen, If I try to maximise it, it does the same thing again, then I have to right click, and go close. The way that I am able to play the games, is by, when I click to play them, I click the left mouse button franticlly, untill the games main menu is displayed. Now, in starcraft, you have the option to veiw the opening cinimatics from the main menu, If I do this, they work fine, and there are no problems. I have tried all the compatibility options, and in different resolutions but non of that helps. So in a moment of desperation, I tried disabling my graphics card (a GeForce 2 MX/MX 400), this helped and I was able start the games with no problems at all. But when I restarted my computer, the graphics card was still disabled, but they did the same thing again, at the time, I was borrowing age of empires 2 from a friend to test out in my new computer, It did the same thing as the other games ie, didn't work with the graphics card, worked with it disabled, but then when I restarted my computer and started aoe2 it came up with an error, saying that aoe2 couldn't be run because my graphics card, possibly didn't support "Directdraw". Another thing, is that If I try changeing the resolustions, in Quake 2, or Age of Empires, it also minimizes the window onto the task bar. . Now Im sorry is all of this is to long or confusing, but I really want to be able to run games without haveing to franticlly click my mouse button and skip the cinimatics. Could any body, please help me?? I have tried a more recent game, Red Faction, on this computer, and that does the same thing as the others!!?? Please Please let there be a sollution to my problem.

Thank You for any help you can offer me

Naraku Kasai
23-07-2002, 11:34 PM
Now I'm not much a of game whiz; heck you probably know about as much as me, but since I'm in a rush I can't research this at all right now, so all I have for you is this:
The first rule when you have problems with anything on your computer is to make sure your drivers are up to date. Yours probably are, but if not, I recommend you try them before you worry too much.
Sorry I can't anymore help right now, but my homework is beckoning me -.-

tweak\'e
what video card drivers are you useing?

try the latest from your video card manafacture or from nvida.com

vk_dre
have u tried getting the new drivers for ur video card, cos the newer drivers r able to support rerevised versions of openGl and direct draw.
i'll find the link and come back to u, others should come up with more help.

cheers,
v.K----------- :D

Naraku Kasai
24-07-2002, 12:08 AM
I didn't use the techy words, but in effect I was right..Yay!
I feel so proud..

Ziggyman
24-07-2002, 06:47 PM
Thanks for all your help guys, it is all very much appreciated. Well, I have the latest driver, can anybody think of a different solution?

godfather
24-07-2002, 06:55 PM
What video card (or onboard chip)?
I think its probably that if its an on-board chipset you may have to search for suitable drivers for the graphics, not just generic "drivers"

The error re directdraw suggests the chipset capabilities?

mejobloggs
26-07-2002, 08:54 PM
He has a Geforce 2 MX 400, and the latest drivers people.

tweak\'e
26-07-2002, 09:04 PM
it can be a case of WHICH driver. there is the manafactures driver, nvida dets and the leaked nvida dets. all can behave different and sometimes there is a few quirks to installing them.

mejobloggs
27-07-2002, 06:56 PM
he has 29.42, so would that be nvidia drivers?

He hasnt updated them, the graphics card just came with 29.42

He has also tried installing updates for the games

tweak\'e
27-07-2002, 07:09 PM
first try running the dirextX diagnostic (hopefully XP still has that).

it sounds like there is another program running in the background.
a lot of games will minimise when another app fires up in the background.
try a clean boot and see if the problem remains.

Sam H
27-07-2002, 07:22 PM
> first try running the dirextX diagnostic (hopefully
> XP still has that).

Yes XP still has that. To run it click start, run and type dxdiag and press enter.

Ziggyman
27-07-2002, 11:02 PM
Ok, well I ran the test, and Direct Draw worked fine, but when I tried the Direct 3D one, it kept coming back saying that I canceled the download cause I pressed a button, but I didn't press anything, and the mouse was still ( I ran it a few times this happed all the times).

tweak\'e
27-07-2002, 11:46 PM
two things i can think of off the top of my head.

video driver didn't install properly and there is a dirextX8.1B try that.

tweak\'e
28-07-2002, 05:41 PM
ok i have just been doing some more tweaking myself with the video drivers. the 29.42 are almost currant dets and most likely NOT the ones that came with the video card. find make of video card and get the drivers off the manafactures web site (not nvida unless for some werid reason you have to).

i just installed the proper leadtek drivers for my card (28.42) which fixes a few problems (with IE) that the 29.42 where giving. also it dosn'r have the nveiw crap (which might have been the problem with IE).

don't forget to remove the existing drivers by the add/remove section first before installing new drivers.

mejobloggs
28-07-2002, 10:37 PM
What! Are you saying its not too good to get nvidia's drivers?

I have a MSI MS-StarForce GeForce4 MX 460 on one computer, and a NVIDIA GeForce2 MX 400 on another.

Where would I go to update the drivers for those?

Would I have to uninstall the other drivers first, or just install over them?

mejobloggs
28-07-2002, 10:38 PM
Woops, Yes i do have to uninstall them. Sorry I didnt read it properly

tweak\'e
28-07-2002, 10:55 PM
some manafactures tweak out the drivers to suit there cards so sometimes its better to use the manafactures drivers. nvida's drivers are reference drivers and as nvida say on their website they don't include any manafactyres tweaks.

msi card .... got to msi's web site and the other card you will need to find out the brand. if its a noname brand then use nvida's drivers.

btw i'm still trying to sort out these niggly probs. enable nview and it stuffs up a few things. disable it and other things stuff up :(

Ziggyman
28-07-2002, 11:01 PM
Ok, so I should find the latest driver for my video card, made by the people who made the card and not by that nivda company, uninstall my driver, and install their driver, is that right?